How to make this PC Stronger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blucube

In Runtime
Hello, I'm looking or trying to keep an eye on how I can make my PC stronger with current or even future upgrades. I have a pretty typical set up from what I've seen other users using, here are my specs:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium
Tuniq Tower 120

Now I realize my question is somewhat vague, I'm not talking about a COMPLETE overhaul. Though I'm concerned with my build in particular. When I first had it I was running 3Dmark06 and could pull about a 14k score. 16k was THE BEST score I could get at that time. I think when I began to overclock I hit about 3.2Ghz on CPU, RAM was about 1068Mhz at 5-5-5-18. And my Vid Card stock is 576/900... I only seem to be able to do minor adjustments on that because it gets too hot and I start to see artifacts I believe. Though even at these settings I found the computer to be pretty unstable. May run hot.

I had some trouble a little while back where I had to format, while recently adding the 2 more gigs of ram. When I tried to boot it would only boot to a black screen and a mouse. So I had to format, which really wasn't that easy to begin with... though I had it stable again. After the new ram, I only seem to be able to hit 3.0Ghz with Q6600 with my RAM linked. The vid card still has little play.

Any suggestions with the CPU, Mobo, Vid Card, Ram, heatsink or cooling? or any other advice would be appreciated too!

-Oh couple other things...

On a side note, Crysis on full specs still whips my computers butt! Also, I have the Edimax wireless network card in my pc, and when I wanna play COD4 online, I have HUGE connection problems... though Wired no problems at all... any ideas?

You can only hit 3gigs of ram because your running a 32 bit OS, you need a 64bit OS for that extra one to be read.

Wireless is a bad idea for gaming. I have no choice myself, but its good enough for me.

From what i have heard dont go with the tuniq, go with the True...

I went with the tuniq and although i dont have any real problems with it... It's hard to install and i think the true might be better...

Veedub will probably come in here and say that.

What case do you have? The reason I ask is because in my TT Armor, my GTX sat close to the bottom by itself and created its own little heat pocket underneath it. I ended up taking off the add-on card slot protectors and zip tied a fan to exhaust that heat pocket. that dropped my temps like 20 degrees.

You can only hit 3gigs of ram because your running a 32 bit OS, you need a 64bit OS for that extra one to be read.

Wireless is a bad idea for gaming. I have no choice myself, but its good enough for me.

Thanks, even though I hit 3.5 ram actually, but of course the operating system steadily takes up about that last .5 Though over all the amount of ram I can achieve was not necessarily an issue, I was already aware of this.

Though with my set up, it was cheaper to make my PC wireless than my 360. So I had to try!

What case do you have? The reason I ask is because in my TT Armor, my GTX sat close to the bottom by itself and created its own little heat pocket underneath it. I ended up taking off the add-on card slot protectors and zip tied a fan to exhaust that heat pocket. that dropped my temps like 20 degrees.

I as well have the TT Armor, which it seems like all of my components, as far as bios is concerned run a bit hot. I heard that the Q6600 runs a bit hot to begin with, but even with the boasted Tuniq Tower I sit anywhere between 60-70 maybe more degrees.

-edit
Also, are the stock fans that come with that case even any good? Just because of the set up I did have to take off the easy card securer thing... I guess I could rip out the slot protectors... even though theres only like two left... the tuniq towers control takes up the first slot, the 8800GTX take up the next two... the sound card takes the next... and then my wifi card... I think with that theres one left on the bottom?

Thanks, even though I hit 3.5 ram actually, but of course the operating system steadily takes up about that last .5 Though over all the amount of ram I can achieve was not necessarily an issue, I was already aware of this.

Though with my set up, it was cheaper to make my PC wireless than my 360. So I had to try!

Yeah, I dont think half a gig is anything to be to concerned about.

I would sell your tuniq and get a True. Also think about airflow in your case. Do you have the Armor w/ side fan or no? Case doesn't look too great for cooling.

Where did you put your hd's? Did you put them in front on the bottom or in that rack that goes by the PSU?

From what i have heard dont go with the tuniq, go with the True...

I went with the tuniq and although i dont have any real problems with it... It's hard to install and i think the true might be better...

Veedub will probably come in here and say that.

i whent with the tuniq and would recomend it you dont need to lap it it comes with a very very flat copper surface you can change the fan if you want which will result in the same kind of results as a true imo, and it isnt that hard to install just dont screw each screw in all the way and struggle to put the last one in like i did my first time, screw each one in a little then once there all secure tighten them as much as you can. at stock on low rpm my q6600 runs at 31/35 on all cores idle, when over clocked to 3.6ghz i run at 38/44 degrees across all cores then at load it goes up to 55c , and i dont even have it lapped. nor do i have great thermal paste, try reseating with less it really makes the diference. OCZ Technology | Products | Cooling Products | OCZ Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound *EOL is the paste i have with a stock tuniq fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom