Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
normal windows behavior? are you kidding? for the last 10 years and 100+ different copies/versions of windows this has never been the case >.> I'm sure I couldn't have accidentally avoided somethign so normal my entire life and on every single pc I've ever used/owned. School, uni, friends, work, mine.

Drag and drop movement. It's simple. and i've always had it, i don't see why now all of a sudden it doesn't work, and apparently isnt normal. In fact I find drag and drop copy very Abnormal. Thats what the right click drag and copy function is for. why would I want to copy anything that i drag around. Thanks anyway i'll figure it out.

Yes i am sure this is NORMAL windows behavior. That is how Windows has reacted on every retail and OEM install i have done since Windows 1.0 thru Server 2008.

I just did it and saved the prompt it opened. It says copy. This is normal behavior. This is a fresh install of Server 2008 which was jsut finished Feb 4th, 2008. So if a fresh install of the NEWEST OS from Microsoft does it i wouldnt say that it is odd behavior.

Even Wikipedia says that it is used for copying...

Drag-and-drop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it is not me who is mistaken here sorry. I do know what i am talking about. ;) This is not my first time using Windows.

@ Tech-Man make sure you close out all your apps before you shut down. It could be trying to save your profile. Your specs are kinda low so you might have to leave it for a few mintues for Vista to save your profile.

yeah ok.. that wiki article doesn't say anythign definite ;p just says move OR copy. Not drag and drop results in copying, like you're trying to state it does. And also a still image in this situation means nothing. The same thing can be recreated by clicking and dragging with the right button and selecting copy from the menu.

At least find some 'proof' that isnt so ambiguous.

ANYway i just fixed the problem. Drag and drop Move.. no more drag and drop copy.

was a virus on a backup dvd i put back onto my pc after a fresh format/install. Delete virus, problem gone.

And i never said you didn't know how to use windows, or implied you were stupid in any way shape or form. Every copy of windows I'VE ever used for the past 10 years has worked this way, that is a fact, and still is. Wether or not you misunderstood/stand what i was/am trying to explain is none of my concern now that things work the way i want them to, and should.

thanks for trying.

OK, I found the real problem.

We're technically Both right. You heard it. So first off I'm sorry for being a bit snarky, but I was slightly insulted ;p

Advanced Drag And Drop in Windows Vista - Copy & Paste Options

Dragging and dropping files on the Same partition, from one spot to another results in a Move, not copy.

Dragging and dropping files on Seperate partitions, from one spot to another, results in a Copy, not move.

My problem comes from the fact that this install is the first time I've partitioned windows seperatly on a PC. Since everything is defaulted to the windows partition it's a pain in the *** so I never bothered. Was always easier to deal with a fresh format cause I never had retarded amounts of HD space to backup every time. Anything saved on the desktop would be defaulted to the windows partition, while all my folders point to the storage partition. Since I save things to my desktop first to sort them, Bang, there it is.

Guess the virus was an annoying coincidence. Just deleted it and opened the first two folders I seen.

Irritating, but no big deal I guess. I'll just have to save the files elsewhere frist or get used to it. Thanks and sorry

Well thanks for the info. I have always used seperate partitions for my stuff that is why i have always had the copy functions active. I barely ever move info on teh same partition. It is always on to a different partition. That is why it always copies for me unless i move it with right clicks.

Sorry if it seemed like i insulted you. I did not intend it to be that way. It was jsut the fact that it has been normal behavior for me for the whole time i have used windows for hte reason stated above.

Glad you got a definate answer on this.

Yes i am sure this is NORMAL windows behavior. That is how Windows has reacted on every retail and OEM install i have done since Windows 1.0 thru Server 2008.

I just did it and saved the prompt it opened. It says copy. This is normal behavior. This is a fresh install of Server 2008 which was jsut finished Feb 4th, 2008. So if a fresh install of the NEWEST OS from Microsoft does it i wouldnt say that it is odd behavior.

Even Wikipedia says that it is used for copying...

Drag-and-drop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it is not me who is mistaken here sorry. I do know what i am talking about. ;) This is not my first time using Windows.

@ Tech-Man make sure you close out all your apps before you shut down. It could be trying to save your profile. Your specs are kinda low so you might have to leave it for a few mintues for Vista to save your profile.

lol Makaveli Zipped "crap", Microsoft "crap", unzipped "crap" hahaha thats a crapload of crap :D

and to Tech-Man, you should consider the move to 2gb RAM for Vista, because 1GB is good on XP, but on Vista you should be atleast 1.5gb + or something, it could help with the problems you are having

I need help taking the full access of the folder..
I click on properties of folder > uncheck read-only but after a while It takes away that permission and make that folder read-only. I tried getting full access by permission but still it does.. this..

edit: I've just reinstalled the whole program..So havin..no problem..about folder permission..

lol Makaveli Zipped "crap", Microsoft "crap", unzipped "crap" hahaha thats a crapload of crap :D

and to Tech-Man, you should consider the move to 2gb RAM for Vista, because 1GB is good on XP, but on Vista you should be atleast 1.5gb + or something, it could help with the problems you are having
Yesh just my way of sorting out my files. It looks like a lot of crap but it is very well sorted in my head. :p
question.
well sp1 work on pirated vista versions?(paradox)?
No. SP1 will patch the Paradox and force you to go legit. Plus since it is illegal i would not mention things like that in the forums since it is against our rules as well to talk about such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom