CPU speed changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

project-09

Solid State Member
Its two questions, but an answer for either one would be extremely appreciated.

I am running a computer with a AMD 1.33Ghz cpu. Usually when I turn on my computer it tells me how much ram and what my clock speed is. Usually says 1.33. But today I turned it on and it says 900Mhz.

I don't know much about computers so if i sound like a complete idiot I'm sorry. Is it possible I contracted some kind of virus while online that could have went in and lowered my processor speed? Or is it a glitch? I mean I can always reformat and start using the router I bought but I'd like to know for prevention sake.

And while I'm here asking questions. One more question. I was surfing the web and somehow my monitor blinked real quick and the next thing u know my desktop has an HTML advertisement set as the background. I found the HTML file and I tried to delete it , but the moment I delete it an exact duplicate is made to take its place. And when I get online my homepage is automatically set to this guy's website and I can't change that either, if i do it will reset to his site again.

The crappy part is his website sells software that protects you from people like him basically. So he's put me in a situation where I have to pay him money so that he'll leave me alone and I won't have that.

part1: have u played with the BIOS??

it happens that a Processor have a fixed multiplier, in ur case (as its a 200Bus Processor (on DDR). so makes ur multiplier = 1333/100 = 13.30

now u might have changed the FSB to 66Mhz FAB, as multiplier = 13.30 remains the same, so now makes ur clock speed as 66X13.30 = approx 900Mhz,

get it changed to 100Mhz once again (either by small switches on mobo, or BIOS)

2ndly, u have got pop-up/adware installed, there is only 1 way getting rif of that, 1: by usingn ad-ware/spyware remover

2: using McCafee (that rocks)

Thanks for the reply blind arrow. I haven't touched the bios, being slow with computers I wouldn't dare mess with the settings too much. I just turned off my computer yesterday and today its set to 900MHz. I haven't changed any settings, i haven't touched the computer at all, and I even unplugged my cable modem before turning it off. So i have no idea how my computer could change the processor speed without my control.

I have adaware and spybot but it doesn't seem to be helping. And this guy somehow got his html page to be my background...I got rid of that but everytime i get online my homepage is always his site.

check ur BIOS settings, you may have got some trojan/virus via internet that has actually refreshed your BIOS.

other probability could be, your Mobo battery is getting weak. it also refreshes the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom