What Can I Expect When OCing My System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuong

Baseband Member
I just put together my new build and here is what I've got.
I am thinking about overclocking but have never done it before. Have read some posts and tutorials about it but not 100% sure yet.
Does anyone have a similar system and how much did you overclock it?
Im looking for atleast 3.0Ghz with this setup. I dont want to run into heat problems so I do not want to OC to high.

Case-Antec 900
Mobo-Gigabyte DS3R
CPU- Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz
GPU-Galaxy Geforce 8800GTS 512MB
Ram-Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR800 PC6400
PSU-CoolMaster 600W
Cooling- Artic Cooling Freezer Pro and MX-2 Thermal Compound
HDD-Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATAII
OS-Window XP Professional SP2 (32bit)

You should be able to hit 3GHz without a problem. You also shouldn't have heat problems with that Artic/MX-2 combo. Honestly, the motherboard would pose a problem if you wanted to go high, but you should be fine for 3.0GHz.

Overclocking is easy. Just do your homework before you start, and take it slow.

His motherboard wont limit his ability to OC, but his temps will.

You should expect a noticeable increase in performance, no real way to spit out framerates or anything, but you will notice a difference.

His motherboard wont limit his ability to OC,

Yes it will. I have the exact same board I believe, and it took me forever to get over 3.0GHz. I'm at 3.2 right now, and it won't go farther than that, no matter what I do. Other people on this forum have experienced the same thing, and I've read about other people on the net with the same problems. Take Ste for example. He said that he was stable at like 3.4 (not sure the exact GHz), but then for some reason, it would not stay stable over 3.0GHz. So he got a new board, and last I heard, he hit 3.7 or so with the same CPU. So yeah, don't tell me that board won't hold him back if he wants to go high.:rolleyes:

Because of that problem, and a few others I've experienced with this board, I won't be buying from Gigabyte again for a long while, if not forever.

Yes it will. I have the exact same board I believe, and it took me forever to get over 3.0GHz. I'm at 3.2 right now, and it won't go farther than that, no matter what I do. Other people on this forum have experienced the same thing, and I've read about other people on the net with the same problems. Take Ste for example. He said that he was stable at like 3.4 (not sure the exact GHz), but then for some reason, it would not stay stable over 3.0GHz. So he got a new board, and last I heard, he hit 3.7 or so with the same CPU. So yeah, don't tell me that board won't hold him back if he wants to go high.:rolleyes:

Because of that problem, and a few others I've experienced with this board, I won't be buying from Gigabyte again for a long while, if not forever.

I have the DS3r, and I didn't have a problem getting to where I'm at (3.53GHz stable w/ Orthos 9+ hours, and running 24/7). =\. What Rev. do you have? Maybe something changed in the later versions? I have Rev. 1 board.

I have the DS3r, and I didn't have a problem getting to where I'm at (3.53GHz stable w/ Orthos 9+ hours, and running 24/7). =\. What Rev. do you have? Maybe something changed in the later versions? I have Rev. 1 board.

Yes, I have heard that the later revisions do not overclock as well. Unfortunately, I believe the majority of these boards on the market are the later revisions. I have looked multiple times to see if the other revisions were still on sale, but I only found the latest one.

Hey metalOwns what cpu cooler are you using? I planed on getting that case, but im not sure which coolers fit in it.

The stock Intel one. LOL. Works fine for me. I still get idle temps in the low to mid 20's, even with my CPU voltage cranked up to 1.525 or whatever it's at. If you do get that case though, you should cut off the grill by the video card fan, and drill some holes in the window so you can bolt a fan right onto the side. It improves airflow A LOT, and it also allows you to take that bar out of the case.

There's a pretty good amount of room in there I think for another, better, cooler.

Hey metalOwns what cpu cooler are you using? I planed on getting that case, but im not sure which coolers fit in it.

ok did u have to put that in your sig:( , u get 18000+ kb/s download and i get a max of 4kb/s on my dial up, thats depressing.

yeah, you should be able to get to 3.0ghz easy, iv heard of them going to 4.3, kinda crazy though.

ok did u have to put that in your sig:( , u get 18000+ kb/s download and i get a max of 4kb/s on my dial up, thats depressing.

yeah, you should be able to get to 3.0ghz easy, iv heard of them going to 4.3, kinda crazy though.

edit, why did this post again when i edited it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom