ESD fried motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fibzx

Beta member
Hey. When I woke up this morning, I went to turn on my computer and i got a very light shock. The shock was barely a tingle, was not strong at all. My computer is enclosed in a case with the panel on. I got a shock on the power button and the computer would not start. No beeps, no bios showing up, nothing. This has happened to me a year ago and just replaced my motherboard AND processor. because i didn't know what else to try to see if it was fixable. My power button is plastic, so i dont see how the ESD could have hit my motherboard. Is it possible that the ESD has jumped to my motherboard? Or is there a short somewhere? It is noted that i have a carpet in my room, but i dont see how a ESD charge could go passed the button and hit my motherboard.

Anyways, I am just wondering if there is any way to tell if my board is fried, or any other solutions to common problems like this (if it isnt the ESD that killed it).

The light on my motherboard is on, so im not sure if that tells you anything.

Thanks.

I would say it's highly unlikely that such a thing could effect your computer components...
I say that with experience...and general knowledge that it shouldn't happen...because there is a pc case...and that it's plugged in.

Experience - office setting...I would walk to my office, on carpet, generate a lot of static and hit the pow button...get little shocks a lot but the pc is ok

General knowledge thing - computer case...plugged in...physics wise, the shock is dispersed by the case and grounded by the connection.

but, anything could happen I guess
you could take your mobo out and look at it in good light to see if you spot any scorch marks...but could be your psu that went.

this a branded pc or a built pc? I say you need a new case if built

Ya, unless you touched something INSIDE the pc and gave it a huge shock, i'd say its just bad luck. Its highly unlikely that you hurt anything touching the power button. I get shocked everytime i sit down at my desk at work, usually when i press play on my mp3 player to take it off of pause. Try unplugging the power supply and plugging it back in. What is a more likely culprate is a bad power supply killing components.

The case itself is about 3 years old. This happened to my old motherboard and tried to find out a solution myself.I couldn't find an answer, so i bought a new motherboard (and processor since i was in need of one anyways). However i never figured out what as wrong, now that it happened a second time with a NEW motherboard, but the old case, I would like to find out whats wrong.

Also the last time i had the same problem, It wasn't my PSU.

Edit: Also when I turn my computer on, the red light stays lit red, however the green light doesnt even come on.

Thanks for the replies.

I've fried a few computers over the years, for me has always been: bad PSU, lightening or surge....my first indicator, that distinct burnt electrical smell as soon as I pop the cover off. The lightening that fried the first computer I built burnt everything, I smelt it from the second floor when I woke up. Open the system up and take a whiff....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom