Can I put 2 HDDs on the same IDE connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crypty

Baseband Member
I want to hook up an additional external hdd(a regular 3.5 inch drive) to my xbox so I can switch between the 2. I figured id just get an ide splitter... Well turns out there is no such thing. Why not? Whats the problem with splitting 1 connector into 2?

Anyway, I found a tutorial on how to do it but it involves wiring work that I could do without. Is there any cable or connector I can get that will do what I want?

Also if it matters I was planning on putting the switch on the power cables for the 2 hdds.

It seems to me it is a very simple and straightforward concept but I dont know why I cant find a splitter thing. I just want them in the same place, since I will be using olny 1 at a time.

Thanks.

PS I am aware of the xbox forum but this doesnt really deal with xbox at all so here it is.

well, as far as xbox you have alot of things to do because the HDD is locked to the specific XBOX and you would need to run certain software to unlock/lock the HDD to the XBOX (I believe its BIOS locked) as far as having 3 or more on one IDE? Nope, cant do it without a controller card, IDE on MBD limit is 2 per IDE.

Im aware of the lock problem. There is a 120gb in there now(fully modded xbox) and I need to put my stock hdd on too so I can utilize xbox live, otherwise MS wont let me on.

To clarify, I want 2 connetors that go to the same thing. But I will only utilize one at a time. Why cant I get an ide cable with 2 connectors along the wire? Im not looking for 4 drive positions on 1 cable.
You have the mobo plug end, the master and the slave right? lets say I want 2 masters that are used 1 at a time.

hmm... odd problem there... so you are trying to get 2 IDE drives on one IDE contrtoller and want BOTH set as master??? Clarify that for me, please. Here is what I'm getting:

You have a 120Gig drive in a modded XBOX (what mod did you use??)

Getting IDE connectors on the same line should be no problem, no SPLIT, but in a chain

I dont think you CAN do anything without some wiring work.

Here is info on Live for a modded XBox

The most important thing to know is that your MS dash must be named xboxdash.xbe. When you first run Xbox Live, it will update that file with the new MS dash with the Live tab. So, you may ask "What about EvolutionX?" Well, sorry guys, but you will have to run EvolutionX off a CD.

So now that you know that your MS dash has to be xboxdash.xbe, you will have to install a switch on your modchip. The switch will disable it, or enable the modchip.

The most important thing when playing on Live with a modded Xbox is that you must always have the modchip off when playing on Live. Turn your modchip off, and then power on Xbox. It is always best to have the modchip off, even when you are installing Live for the first time.

Now, if you want to play backups, turn your modchip on and power on Xbox. You can boot your EvolutionX CD and load your backups off the HD, or you can boot your backup CDs. However, you must make sure you DO NOT access any Live-oriented tabs within the game. DO NOT select "Download Content", "Play Live", etc. tabs in a game. When doing so, your Xbox will connect to Live, and MS will detect a modified BIOS, and you will then soon be banned.

How to play on Xbox Live with a flashable modded Xbox
So, you have the best field of modchips out there, so you have better options. The first thing you want to do is flash your modchip with a BIOS that boots a file another than xboxdash.xbe. For example, flash with a BIOS that will load evoxdash.xbe first. You can store your EvolutionX dash on your HD, and have it be evoxdash.xbe. But, be sure you keep your MS dash as xboxdash.xbe. That file will be updated when you first install Live and having the MS dash as xboxdash.xbe will make it a good update.

If you have a X2 PRO, there is an external on/off switch. Just make sure when you boot up your xbox, the switch is set to off.

For those of you with the Matrix, you will set your Matrix in mode 3. How mode 3 works is, your flashed BIOS will load when the XBox is powered on. This means the modchip is on, and you can check that by looking inside the Xbox at the modchip and it will have a green LED. But, for those who want a nice, put together Xbox, I recommend getting a BIOS that is a colormod. So, when your Xbox boots, your Xbox logo will be blue for example meaning the modchip is on.

So, you are now at your EvolutionX dash or MS dash with the modchip on. You will then run a game (an original or a backup) or even a homebrewed program, and when the game is running, press the big eject button. Your Xbox will reboot and the original BIOS will load. The normal green Xbox logo will show and this means the modchip is off. Also, the modchip will now show the red LED.

As I said above, you must make sure you DO NOT access any Live-oriented tabs within the game when the modchip is on. DO NOT select "Download Content", "Play Live", etc. tabs in a game. When doing so, your Xbox will connect to Live, and MS will detect a modified BIOS, and you will then soon be banned.

How to play on Live with an upgraded HD
Playing on Live is easy with an upgraded HD. It must always be locked. The original MS BIOS, when the modchip is off, demands a locked HD or else your Xbox won't boot. You may ask if a locked HD is ok to do with the modchip on. Yes, it's okay.

Relating to the xboxdash.xbe file, this must be in the root of C:\

As a quick note, if you are in a situation where you must run the EvolutionX CD, you can keep all your EvolutionX files (skins folder, evox.ini, etc) in their usual places on the HD, as you just will need default.xbe (EvolutionX dash) on the CD.

How to get unbanned from Xbox Live
So, you made a mistake. Your "little brother" selected a Live tab with the modchip on and now you are banned. Well, you can get unbanned. Xbox Live just bans your Xbox's HD key. Not your gamer account.

To get unbanned, you MUST obtain an unbanned EEPROM. These are not posted at the usual places, you must get it from a friend who has a modded Xbox and doesn't plan to go on Xbox Live. To update your Xbox's EEPROM with a unbanned EEPROM, download Configmagic and use that program. The program is easy to use and it is all menu driven.

Got something to say? Have you read something on this website that seems unclear or incorrect? Is there some information that you believe I should post? Your comments are very important. I want to keep our visitors educated and informed about the world of xbox hacking. Please send me an e-mail. I welcome all comments and feedback.

and multiple HDD (by swapping drives externally.. easiest I found...

http://www.xboxnext-scene.com/articles/external-hdd.php

I know all that stuff but very recently games started being produced that allow ms to see your hdd space. Thats why I need to be able to switch between the 2 hdds. Its not enough anmore to just turn the chip off.

bdbd.bmp

Thats my best drawing of it. It could look like that, or it could be a Y splitter that goes into the slave connector and gives me 2 connectors for that 1 slave spot.

from what I understand, the master device forwards a request from the mobo to the slave. I would assume all this information is traveling through a basic strap of wires stuck together(the ide cable). Now, if there is nothing special about this strap of wires, couldnt I have 2 connectors make contact with them? That way the only drive that would get the signal is the one that has the power switched on, as would it also be the only one sending back a signal. The signal from the mobo, would go to the dvd drive and be sent to both hdds, but only 1 would be on.

I dont see why this wouldnt work. Unless theres somthing really weird going on in those IDE cables.

well, the way listed above is where you would switch between HDD externally. I dont know anything about MS checking HDD size, but the above would have the power and IDE cable external so you can switch drives manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom