Add or Remove Programs: doesn't work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
When I go to Control Panel, select Add or Remove Programs, the window pops up, displays no programs in it, and my hard drive starts running like it's searching for a list of programs, but it never stops running, and it never finds any programs.

The problem is that now I can't un-install programs.

The only thing I can think of that may have caused this is running Evidence Eliminator.

I've tried running Registry Mechanic in hopes that this was just a registry misconfiguration, but no such luck.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my "Add or Remove Programs" to work again?

Try going into safe mode and removing Evidence Eliminator. See if you can even get the Add/Remove to work there.

i thinks it's a system that's a bit slow? cpu and/or hd related maybe
do a couple of defrags...then when that's done go into add/remove again, but do that when you are about to go to sleep...maybe when you wake up it will be done...unless of course it shows a list before then

I use a third party removal program, but I can't remember the name of it offhand (at work right now). I'll check back in after I get home.

Well thanks for the advice everybody.
I defragmented, I did HD error check, I ran a spyware scan, a virus scan, I ran the computer in safemode, but nothing fixed the problem.

I downloaded the Uninstall Manager 5.6 (I was hooked by the words "free") and that did the trick. I can now uninstall programs with this third party installer.

I uninstalled Evidence Eliminator, that didn't fix the problem.

I'd say the problem is fixed, but I recently noticed a second problem which might be just a coincidence. I have a free CD Burner program, and when I use it to look through my directories for folders it does the same thing when I select "drive C". It's like it can't find any directories in drive C, but never stops looking, and the program just locks up.

This might be just coincidence, or it might be linked to the same problem that causes "add or remove programs" to just hang, eternally searching for files it can't find.

But anyhow I thank you guys for tipping me off about the existence of third party installer/uninstallers.

even if uninstall manager helped you out...I think you should keep troubleshooting...namely findind, weeding, removing the offending app...it may be that cd burner app

looks to be some app that hooks into windows explorer is causing the issues.
removing it should do the job

Try Hjackthis that might help might be spyware issue I have seen something like that before where a piece of spyware hooks in and messes up windows. Try installing software and see if you get error message "Action disable by admin" that is almost dead give away for spyware issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom