Computer keeps freezing, help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok it finished scanning and it didn't pop up and say anything or anything like that. If it found some thing wrong does it just automatically fix it?

If you still don't get anywhere using the sfc tool then manually expanding a replacement copy while booting to the recovery console would be the alternate to replace a corrupted file. A typical command there would go like:

"D:>expand D:\I386\usbehci.sys C:\Windows\system32"(D being optical drive used)

After seeing the replacement expanded you would obviously be rebooting anyways just to see Windows load after exiting the recovery console. If you still see freeze ups then looking at other things like seeing a fresh copy of video drivers go on will often correct that type of problem.

When running the sfc you won't see any messages but simply watch how busy the optical drive gets if it starts replacing files on the system. I just caught your post.

Ok I had quite an interesting time in the recovery console, I went to my disc drive and typed expand H:\I386\usbehci.sys D:\Windows\system32 but it said unable to locate file or directory. So I went into I386 and usbehci.sys was there, but it was read only so I tried to attrib -r it but it said access denied. So I sat there wondering wtf cuz I didn't really want to have to reboot to come ask you what to do lol. So I looked at the file again and noticed something strange it was called usbehci.sy_ not usbehci.sys, so I tried the whole command again but replaced it with usbehci.sy_ and it worked, said 1 file expanded = usbehci.sys. Thanks a lot man, we'll see what happens now.

By the way, have any idea why it was called usbehci.sy_? Was that because it was compressed?

Ok my computer froze again last night so I let memtest run while I went to sleep. I just woke up and checked it and it only ran for 8 minutes and then the computer froze again apparently. It said 0 errors though. Any ideas?

Here is a list of the solutions I've tried:

1. Reformatted twice
2. Virus scanned with Nod32
3. Spyware scanned with Adaware Pro
4. Used new HD/vid card/RAM
5. Updated all drivers to manufacturers newest stable version
6. Updated BIOS & Flashed CMOS
7. Triple checked all hard ware connections
8. Ran windows system file integrity check off Windows CD
9. Set every possible option in the system to default/stable
10. BIOS is set to fail-safe
11. Tested PSU on different rig and works fine, my rig requires apx 255w, PSU=350w
12. Replaced HD in this rig with one from a diff working comp, didn't even install any new drivers or anything on it and the other HD works fine.

So as you can see off of #12 this is starting to point towards the HD I think. Just downloaded a diagnostic utility from my HD manufacturers website, will post the results when complete. In the mean time please feel free to post any suggestions you might have, thanks.

Alright I tried that but I need some help because I can't get the diagnostic to run. I downloaded the diagnostic floppy boot file but the FAQ says to format the floppy as an MS-DOS boot disk and once I do that it only leaves 850 or so KB left but the utility boot file is 1.4MB so it won't fit on the file, am I doing some thing wrong here? Also I tried to just download the utility by itself and run it out of windows recovery/DOS and tried having it on the HD & the floppy but it wouldn't run from either location, I just get the error "command not recognized use the help command". Going to try to get it to run some other way now...

Heres the website: ExcelStor Technology
I'm using a J8160 IDE.

//UPDATE: Going to try using winimage to burn the floppy image file I downloaded from ExcelStor. We'll see if this method works as thats what it says to do on the download page. (If this works then their FAQ was misleading)

3rd party tool that's why! Each drive manufacturer has their own disk utilities that will go right on a floppy. A spent drive will cause all types of problems. Lately I've seen two older model ide drive go on two different systems where XP was then suddenly seeing lockups.

I forgot to mention the compression seen when looking at the I386 folder and seeing the underscore on files there. But you now see how that works for manually expanding replacement files while at the recovery console.

With seeing another drive go in and work without problems I think you finally narrowed it down to the drive as the item needing replacement. One of the two that went was one I loaned out until someone was able to get XP up and running on a Sata I drive. That and another could be read from and partitions deleted while no new primary could created. TOAST!

I let the diagnostic run for about 35 minutes but It's taking too long since I need to use my comp now, I'll have to let it run when I go to bed. How long do you think It'll take on my 160GB HD? Also if there are errors on the HD is there any utility which I can use to attempt to repair the HD? Thanks.

Each version of Windows has it's own tool while somewhat limited just for repair of information stored on the drive such as scandisk with the older Fat versions and check disk with the NT cored 2000/XP/Vista.

For starting that up simply type cmd at the Run prompt off of the Start menu or go into accessories for the command prompt there. Once the dos type windows opens up type "chkdsk /f" or "chkdsk volume /f" at the prompt.

The quick and easy method however is to right click on the drive in Windows Explorer or in MyComputer for "properties>tools>error-checking" click the Check Now button there.

Alright so I went to bed last night and let my HD diag utility run off the floppy in DOS mode at bootup. It ran for 8.5 hours and I didn't get any messages or anything like that and it just seemed to be still going. Is it supposed to take this long? I'm wondering if I typed the wrong command in for the utility, I've attatched the help file that came with the utility. Here is the command that I used: "estest /d: p0 /r /l:all", any help appreciated.

Attachments

• estest.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 43
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom