Windows Vista SP1 WGA Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is almost there and Microsoft kept their word related to changes to the WGA, Windows Genuine Advantage, system currently in place in Windows Vista. There are actually two different scenarios in place, the first is called Reduced Functionality Mode which Vista will start in if the user does not activate the product in time.
The second is if a WGA check fails which will make Vista run in Non-Genuine Mode. Both modes impose certain penalties upon the user like logging him off after an hour or disabling features like Aero or Readyboost. Adrian posted the changes that users will face if they have Service Pack 1 installed.
The good news is that both modes described above are gone. Users will not be logged off automatically anymore which is great. Microsoft however decided to change tactics and nag the user to death - eh registration / activation - instead. Users will experience the following if their Vista installation fails the WGA check or if they fail to activate Vista in time.

A nag screen to activate at logon that cannot be dismissed for 15 seconds.
Every hour the desktop background is switched to black (it can be changed back, but after an hour it's set to black again).
Activation dialogs and balloon dialogs appear regularly.
Optional Windows Updates aren't delivered.

Windows Vista SP1 WGA Changes :

Cool. Glad they got rid of Reduced Mode. That sucked when you forgot to activate.

But it will be funny to see the WGA Nags. I might not activate my Vista just to see these changes in place. :laughing:

Well for me it truly was i forgot. I have a Valid license. I jsut didnt go inot the System Properties to activate....

But it will be interesting to see the hacker have at it now. Considering all the carcks that used to work have been patched.:p

Without a doubt there will be one. Just the time frame. Now that the news is out that Refresh 2 is RTM. It will be sooner since they have this extra time to work on the cracks. I give it another 2 weeks. Even before the RTM is released to the public they will have a new crack out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom