OCing the Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordred

In Runtime
So, I was looking around in my BIOS this morning and noticed that the multiplier on the CPU is unlocked. I was considering just raising it from 9 to 10...and seeing what happened, but figured I'd ask here first.

Will raising the multiplier require me to raise the CPU voltage?
Will I have to worry about the Memory if I'm only raising the multiplier? (It is my understanding that you only have to change the settings on the Memory when you change the FSB speed.)

You must be mistaken, the q6600 has a multiplier that is only unlocked "down"...meaning you can change it from 6-9

Your only option for overclocking is to raise your FSB

I'm just posting what my BIOS said I could do...haha...

I tried searching info on overclocking the Q6600 and couldn't find anything reliable. So...if you have any links, posting them would be appreciated.

your bios might have the option, but your cpu wont do it. My bios has the same option, you can change it to any number up to 50x, but when you boot it just reverts to whatever it was before. So you can try it, but I can guarantee that it will not work.

Awww... Now I have to do it the hard way. If I can ever find a **** guide for it.

HAHA, I'm totally going to skip overclocking this thing until I ABSOLUTELY have to. There's no point in going through all of this just for a few higher benchmarks. It's pretty ridiculous that people actually spend endless hours raising voltages by .0002 and then running prime95 for 400hours on end to make sure their system is stable, and then repeating the whole process again and again. I admit that I would like to have my q6600 running at around 2.8 or 3.0, but the absurd amount of time I would have to invest in tweaking the system is just completely unreasonable. I want to be gaming this week, not next month.

I figure that tomorrow (my day off) I will try these settings and see what happens. If my system is not stable I'll just go back to stock speeds and call it a day:

Multiplier: 8
FSB: 375

That would give me a speed of 3.0GHz, but then my RAM would be messed up right? Since 375 x 2 = 750....I'm using this crucial ballistix tracer memory (Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail.)

So...if I wanted to overclock my memory to run at 1066MHz instead of 800MHz it would be impossible...unless I set my FSB speed to 533 correct? And since the best CPU to DRAM ratio is 1:1, I would want to have my FSB at 533. The only problem is that this would force me to lower the multiplier on the CPU to like...4 or something like that.

Am I over analyzing this or under analyzing this? I feel like I'm missing something, but can't seem to grasp it.

Can anyone suggest a good starting point for overclocking the q6600 and still maintaining a good FSB to DRAM ratio? Is that even important?

HELP!

Edit: I could ask questions there, but I thought that it was considered rude to hijack someone else's thread....I am new to whole forum scene.

Someone on these forums informed me that using someone else's settings wouldn't work on any other system than theirs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom