How do you update bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have to extract the file, then make sure it is a .BIN file. it cant be on your jump drive as a .rar or it wont be recognized as a bios file

you can always do recovery...but again, I am only going by knowledge of my hardware...i have no clue what other board makers do

intel gives me a floppy and cd bios recovery option
floppy does not need to be bootable

so if i funk up my system, i have the backup handy, do a jumper thing...insert disc....and it will recover itself

once bios is corrupted, its corrupted. You can buy new bios chips though and replace them.

If something gets messed up can you reset or clear back to your original BIOS? Should I unclock my CPU first?

No overclocking to be on the safe side. I revert back to stock settings w/ alittle extra vcore to the cpu just incase like .02 (
1.325 stock and set it to 1.350 for MY cpu). Better safe than sorry.

finally done. I extracted the file onto my floppy and did a dios flash. worked pretty smoothly once I figured out what i was doing wrong. When I extracted the files it was a .ROM file. The Bios flash reconized the file and it was updated within a couple of minutes. Thanks for everyones help and input.

ppl should flash all the time...if they release a hardware update, it's for a reason.
it has to do with % of variability...they release it so it's more stable. Let's say there's an algorthmic error present in a mobo...sure you don't need to update if you don't care for it, but logically you should

example pdf you can read for my mobo:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14346/ENG/BX_1487_ReleaseNotes.pdf

just adds stability, so I do it :D

QFT

Flashing the bios is just like downloading updates for your graphic card, performance may not increase but stability or compatability definately will. Like that one guy said modern day flashing is pretty idiot proof unless a power outage happens

once bios is corrupted, its corrupted. You can buy new bios chips though and replace them.

are you saying that you believe all products to be the same? Because they aren't :D. My intel mobo can be corrupted with a bad bios update and it will recover if I have the alternate methods.

I messed up on updating the firmware on my samsung dvdr....but redid it successfully, using the win app.

not all products are the same, and all SHOULD have such fail safe ways to restore...there is no technical reason or law, that if a bios is corrupted and unusable, that it can't be rectified, without buying a bios chip. Such measures are only used by companies that don't have their act together.

love intel :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom