The old VHS pirate evolved (or how people still get suckered).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,
The old VHS pirate evolved (or how people still get suckered).

Ah back in the day of VHS we all had a friend or a friends friend who could always get the latest boot legs of films on VHS for a small fee. Well since broad band come out an DVD's became cheep an affordable most of the old VHS pirates have long dissapeard but there are some who still knock around selling films on DVD.

This leads me to the subject in hand "How people get suckered" a friend of mine lets call him "Paul" gives me a call saying there is a guy who runs the local chip shop selling good copys for a few quid, and aranged to come round to my house for a few beers an a film or two. Now my friend paul is terrified about being caught downloading films, music or software illegally so he thought great a local source of cheep DVD's an bought a few. He arrives at my house an shows me what he has got an we put one in the DVD player.

The first one was fine obviously downloaded from the net an was great quality very watchable an enjoyable sound was good as was the video. But this leads me on to the second film of the night which we are playing as i type this on my laptop.

"Cloverfield" is a film i have wanted to watch for a week or so now but this was totally different from the first. Rember when you bought that bad VHS pirate when the camera was shaky part of the screen was missing or there was some one walking past? Well this was the optiamy of bad film piracy. The viewable area of the screen was at a angle that is only known in some weired dimension beyond our own part of it was covered by a bag strap. The person who filmed it had some kind of issue that made him wobble every few seconds. He also appears to like popcorn an pepsi as his snack of choice while making low quality films, this is also a multi species movie theater as they seem to have let a small family of monkeys in who like dancing infront of the screen.

So this was unbearable so we swap to the 3rd film that was in the collection hoping for the best we put in "sweeney tod" our hopes where raised when we saw the This film is intended for review an screening purposes only and is not intended for public viewing" only to find the film not only has part of the screen obscured by a head the approximate size of a small planet but for some inexplicable reason has some kind of helix pattern crossing the screen at all times that gives you a head acke.

I don't reely know why i decided to write this an there is no moral sub context to it.

You would think that wouldn't you. I just feel sorry for paul he is down 20quid he bought 10 films at £2 each.

He should be more afraid of being caught buying the dvds from the guy than downloading them...so many people download that the chances of an individual of getting caught are like so low, but not many actually go and buy the physical dvd so it would more of a risk of buying the dvd

His take on it is "If i don't DL it I wont get caught" but i happen to agree with you. Physical copy's would land you more in the cacky than a digital one under british law.

the thing is you need to wait for the dvd's to come out somewhere cause if the movie's been out like 10 days, then there isn't any dvd out anywhere so the quality will be, at best, a steady pic with the quality of a home camera..

i did that with cloverfield just to see the thing drop in the back, which i didn't see...............

but i download my movies.. i don't really feel like buying it.. if its a movie that i really liked, or a movie who was directed by someone or a group that i really respect then i'll buy it.

Once i was really desperate to watch a harry potter movie ^.^ and i watched it on the quality of a cell phones camera on some website and i never watched another harry potter film again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom