Good Gaming Headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikedCola

In Runtime
Since my current one is pretty crackly and doesnt sit that comfortably over my ears, Ive been looking into a better one. I dont want to blow a few hundred dollars, so Im looking around the $100-150 range.

These are the ones at the top of my list right now:
Ear Force AK-R8

Opinions? Suggestions for a different pair?

Can't say i'd choose them as an audioholic, because gameing just won't ever sound good except for gameing. But as that's what you're purchaseing them for.It makes sense, and they will be excellent for gameing. Watching the video > Ear Force AK-R8 - Video Demo < it looks very good.

I don't know how the headphones personal amplifier would convert the 5.1 signal into 8 speakers. I'd be interested in that.

Remember the CMSS can sound extremely very good with a good pair of stereo headphones, but you need a Creative Labs soundcard.

Its not at all. You do need good binaural stereo headphones with sufficient soundstage, imageing, and vocal projection to benefit from the technology.

CMSS is the biggest bag of gay ever.
It depends. The difficulty with CMSS is that it means various things. Gay means one thing. So it is not the same.

I can think of following CMSS algorithms
that are NOT equal and actually do very different things:

CMSS 1 on Sound Blaster Live cards = upmixes stereo to 4.1/5.1 (okay for the late nineties it was released but not for today)

CMSS 2 on Sound Blaster Audigy cards = upmixes stereo to full surround, finer controls compared to revision 1(better, but not great for today standards)

CMSS 3D Surround
on Sound Blaster X-Fi cards = upmixes from stereo to full surround with changeable parameters

CMSS-3D Headphones on Sound Blaster X-Fi cards = downmixes surround to stereo so that the surround effect is still there.

I have no use for CMSS types that expand stereo. I prefer sound the way it was recorded even if this is only stereo. But for gaming CMSS-3D headphones is great as no surrounds sound are lost when using stereo headphones for gaming.

111sins. My headphones through SB live on a game of Call of Duty 4, i can literally point to were the enemy is. far better than any 7.1 system i've herd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom