Windows XP and DVD rom trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

decker

Beta member
This all started about 2 days ago...I was trying to install a game - Fallout Tactics (I had this game on my comp last year with no problems -but I uninstalled it)- and when I get to disc2 on the install the installer would freeze. I would attempt to end task it, but it still wouldn't close. I tried full install, reg and finally minimum install worked (i "cancelled" the installation but it finished the installation- don't understand that)

anyway- as I said the installer would freeze up and I couldn't get out of it- I left the installer up (after I ended it with control alt del) for 10 minutes and nothing happened. So I restarted my computer. This happened several times.

During these attempted installations I decided maybe I should use my dvd drive on the install instead as opposed to my CD-R. I have 3 drives- one is a regular CD drive that is unplugged (needed to unplug it so I could plug in a 2nd hard drive on my mother board).
The main drive I use now and for the installation is a CD-R.
The third drive I have is a Samsung dvd drive. Well the dvd drive wouldn't open- so I unplug my comp, open it up and behold I forgot to reconnect the power source when I installed the 2nd hard drive.
I plug it back in and close up everything and then my comp restarts right before I should see the "which user do you want to login with screen". It just restarts over and over. Finally after like 5 restarts it manages to get to the login screen- get into windows everything works pretty well (except sometimes going into my computer will cause comp to slow down or 'my computer to freeze').

Anyway- I put the disc in to the dvd drive and click on my computer and my "f" drive (for the dvd drive) is not there. It used to be (and worked just fine) before I added the second hard drive. I know that the IDE cable is connected properly too. So I restart my comp and go into bios and can't find anyplace to add my dvd drive. Help on this please.

Next- My computer is still doing that restart over and over again thing. I unplugged the power cables to the dvd drive and the first time I turned on my comp it went straight to the windows screen.

comp specs
p4 1.8 ghz
WinXP home ed - SP1
640 mb pc133 RAM
geforce 4 ti4200 64mb DDR
generic CD-RW drive 24x10x40
Samsung 16x DVD drive
Sygate personal firewall - free edition
AVG anti virus- free edition

well the DVD drive used to work just fine.
I had no more room on my MOBO for a 2nd hard drive- so I removed one of the IDE's from my cd-rom drive- then put the same IDE cable connecting both the cd-R and the dvd drive to the mobo and another IDE cable that connects both the 2 HD's to the mobo.

the only change that was made is that the dvd drive used to be on the same IDE cable as my original hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom