XP install gone bad :o(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowDragon

Baseband Member
i installed XP today and when it came to loading my settings it just stopped, happens everytime on loading my settings, could not formatting disk before installing have caused this bcos i have had probs with other os,s so i didn't get rid of my win 2000...
i had a problem with mandrake 10 freezing all the time also... do you think it is hardware related or is it just that i kept old version of windows on there? :confused:

mandrake has no issue with what ever is installed previously. it gets installed in its own folder.

chekc out ur ram, normally RAM does brings many problems.

the mandrake is gone its the xp problem i need to fix. i've heard that multiple os's on same partition will cause problem but not sure if thats it... dont want to completely reformat put on xp and find it dont work and i'm left with no workin comp

ok i completely reformatted pc and put on only windows XP, it still freezes starting up but it lets me on in safe mode, any ideas of what problem may be would be great :(

Shadow,

I'm just learning Linux myself. But i do know that regardless of the OS, it's always a good idea to install OSes onto their own separate partitions.

When you boot into safe mode, does it correctly report the full capacity of the HDD?? The format utility does not work for a linux partition - you probably still have the Mandrake partition present on the HDD.

its cool, i got it working, my graphics card was messin it up, stupid XP cant recognize a simple graphics card, i had to disable it then install drivers in normal mode, thats why linux is so much better

Shadow9684 said:
thats why linux is so much better

lol... to be honest that's the first time i've heard a pc user say Linux has more hardware compatibility than XP... lol

At any rate, i'm glad you got the problem solved.

actually i was referring to the freezing, linux would have told me there was a problem rather than freeze and restart all the time, except mandrake 10 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom