How do you update bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ppl should flash all the time...if they release a hardware update, it's for a reason.
it has to do with % of variability...they release it so it's more stable. Let's say there's an algorthmic error present in a mobo...sure you don't need to update if you don't care for it, but logically you should

example pdf you can read for my mobo:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14346/ENG/BX_1487_ReleaseNotes.pdf

just adds stability, so I do it :D

That's not always true. Many mobos only release an update to provide compatibility for a new CPU, like someone said earlier. They're not always upgrades that will increase your performance.

For example, I have an ASUS AMD mobo and there's been a couple of Bios updates since Xmas because of the new Phenoms. I looked in their release notes and it only says updates compatability for newer processors.

But then again, it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

not performance, stability, different....:p
hehe
but that's why I posted a link to the readme for mine...you can simply read the one's for XXX and see what it does. If X doesn't do anything for you, you don't need it...but I like that mine is all about stability and compatibility

intel rocks!

you can always do recovery...but again, I am only going by knowledge of my hardware...i have no clue what other board makers do

intel gives me a floppy and cd bios recovery option
floppy does not need to be bootable

so if i funk up my system, i have the backup handy, do a jumper thing...insert disc....and it will recover itself

Judging from your sig, Im guessing you have a ASUS mobo.

ASUS has a tool called Bios Recovery. If you funk up your flashing, boot from the ASUS CD included w/ the mobo. It should give you a recover option back to OEM bios. Good Luck.

I've flashed in windows multiple times. About the only thing that can mess it up is a power outage or a persons own stupidity XD (i.e. kicking the off button or triping over your power cord or hitting cancel)

I wanted to do it the old floppy way but my BIOS wouldn't fit on a conventional floppy lol too much work doing it on cd and didnt feel like buying a thumb/usb drive just to flash the bios.

bios updates can add lots of fun stuff. hardware compatability, increased overclocking ability possibly, increased stability..

but the safest way is the old fashioned way: BIOS Flashing, What is BIOS or CMOS flashing?
read that, love it, have its children.

but like i said flashing in windows only fails if the user is a tool or if one of the gods deem you unworthy and cut the power. Or you use the asus EZflash. lol

ok. I tried ASUS EZ BIOS flash 2(built into the BIOS). I downloaded the file on a flash drive. when into my bios to do it; fallowing instructions in my mobo manual. didn't work. I tried saving the file on a floppy. It diid't work. It's like it didn't reconize the file being there.

On my Mobo I do the following

1. Download bios and put it on floppy
2. insert floopy in drive
3. reboot and hit Alt.+F2 during post...this will bring up EZ flash 2 program in bios
4. Enter bios program...go to tools menu to select EZ Flash 2...press enter to enable it.
5.you can awitch between drives by hitting tab...find floppy drive where file is....press enter
6. when the correct file is found...EZ Flash 2 performs the bios update and automattically reboots the system with the new bios.

I hope this helps.

yeah i was in the EZ flash but in wouldn't rconize anything on my floppy drive. Do I have to make it bootable or reformat with a different file type or something? The file that I downloaded onto the drive was a zip file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom