Windows won't let me delete a 700 meg file

Status
Not open for further replies.

powley

Solid State Member
I have a file on my computer that definately is not running in the background and Windows will not let me delete it. It says "the program may be running in the background." I checked my task manager and it's not running.

It's just a .exe file...it's nothing special...not associated with Windows in any way. I don't understand.

If u need anymore info. just let me know...any help would be appreciated 110%.

Powley welcome to our forum.

What is the application in question? And please atleast state the OS you're running.

ohGrFreak: I tried that man...this f'in thing is stuck on my computer lol.

Lone Wolf: I'm running XP Pro...the app. is a game I tried to download off Kazaa- but after I downloaded it I realized it's not a zip file or anything...it's just a 700 meg .exe file (?). Weird. Anyway, when I try to run it it goes into a DOS window then says there's not enough memory to run, and shuts down.

I tried safemode too.

I also scanned it for viruses, etc. etc. None.

When I first got it I could move it around 'n stuff, but now I can't move it, rename it, nothing. Damn annoying.

First shut down all applications. Start up the command console (similar to Win9.x DOS window). At the dos prompt, type the full path and name of the file. In other words if the name of hte file is abc.exe, then type the following w/out the quotes.

"del C:\programs\abc.exe"

Sounds kinda like a worm, even though you scaned it. If i were you I would google it <filename>.exe. See if anything comes up.

YA BABY!!! THE B!@%# is GONE!

Ahem...

Weird cause I tried that before too...worked this time tho. Awesome- thanks Lone Wolf and everyone who helped.

powley... which method finally worked??

Nikkon is on the right track. It could have very well been some type of a virus. Even though you deleted it, make sure there is no remnant of it. It woudl probably be a good idea to update your virus definitions and do a thorough scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom