Is it that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An AMD mobo/CPU/HSF + the rest of your build for under 550?

Yeah, i only been to newegg.. didnt know if someone knew cheaper places or a special going i didnt know about, didnt know if it was possible to get a build for that much with what i had but with mayb a AMD mobo/CPU and Fan plus the other parts i had mayb

Yeah, i only been to newegg.. didnt know if someone knew cheaper places or a special going i didnt know about, didnt know if it was possible to get a build for that much with what i had but with mayb a AMD mobo/CPU and Fan plus the other parts i had mayb

ClubIT is another good site but i prefer NewEgg (bigger selection)

okay i went searching through newegg for some parts and i've come up with this

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail
Newegg.com - ASUS M3A AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

and that Seagate drive in my previous post with the rest of your parts to go with it.

I wouldnt trust the People on Ebay to much its better to have someone you know personaly and someone you know to build it for you, or you build it yourself. trust me there is nothing better than the feeling of building your own computer and it springing to life. i remember when i first built mine i was doing the whole mad scientist kinda laugh. it was stupid but i felt great :)

lol, i did the exact same thing for my first build the whole

"IT's ALIVE, MUA HAHAHAHA, MUAHAHAHAHA, MUA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Go with intel, ur system right now that u think is slower then your old amd is in ur head, intel is much better.

well, ive built acouple and also had help with it... and im really gettin another computer, so i can give my current one to my roommate... she was gonna spend alot on a computer, was just gonna let her use mine, and i needed to upgrade anyways, but i seen the ones that this guy has built on ebay, all his feedback is good... that everything that was put into the auction was exactly what they got... think he has intel Pentium D 925 Dual Core 3.0GHz with 2-4gig memory cant remeber.. and 250gig HD with DVD+RW and a NICE case... and a pretty decent video card for gaming for around 350 bucks+shipping

well i'd try to get away from the pentium line right now if i were you and go with something like a C2D if you can stretch your budget to allow it. because the C2d's can beat a pentium d 925 silly with one arm behind its back. its just amazing i went from a 3.2 ghz pentium d to an e4500 and i can tell a big difference in my games. although be it that the e4500 is 2.2ghz its got a better architecture to it so it can do more at lower temps.

It's always worth a look at, post the specs...can't say much without actual makes and models in there.

As for your original system, no problems there, depending on what you're using it for. I still run WC3, CS:S and WOW on my athlon 3000+ laptop and athlon 2800+ desktop with a 7300GT AGP in it...super dated but they are both primary work computers for word, excel, power point and do just fine for those causes and the BASIC gaming, haven't tried CRYSIS on them yet :p ha!

If you're looking to pinch pennies on your build and are determined to go AMD here are a few changes that could save you a bit, this is a pretty standard list for a budget AMD game build:

CPU $60.00: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
Cooler $20.00: Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
RAM $40.00: Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

The X2 4000+ with that cooler should hit 3.0 without much problem, my brother runs his at 2.8 on the stock cooler. my 3600+ runs at 3.0 with the AC 64 mentioned. The ballistix is better than the OCZ RAM, I had problems with my OCZ platinums and returned them for Ballistix, i have 4GB of it running in two different systems, no problems at all and OC very well.

The 4000+ is a great CPU Its low wattage means it'll run cooler most likely and im sure it can be OC'ed nicely @ decent temps. but I think that it'd be a little hard to understand the first time around how he can predetermine his clock speeds and all that and having the 5000+ wiht the unlocked multi can spare him some agonizing math and give him a good round number to top off at.

this is true but the 5000+ has the unlocked multiplier so its better for Newb OCers because they can see what a difference and how much the multiplier affects their Ghz.

i prefer this CPU because of its ease for OCing understanding. great for teaching the newbs but its still HxC enough for the extreme OCer

Now its up to the user now if he wants to learn how to OC and become quite involved with it then i think the 5000+ is his CPU

But if he wants to save pennies and still OC but it be restricted quite a bit. then the 4000+ is still great.

It's always worth a look at, post the specs...can't say much without actual makes and models in there.

As for your original system, no problems there, depending on what you're using it for. I still run WC3, CS:S and WOW on my athlon 3000+ laptop and athlon 2800+ desktop with a 7300GT AGP in it...super dated but they are both primary work computers for word, excel, power point and do just fine for those causes and the BASIC gaming, haven't tried CRYSIS on them yet :p ha!

If you're looking to pinch pennies on your build and are determined to go AMD here are a few changes that could save you a bit, this is a pretty standard list for a budget AMD game build:

CPU $60.00: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
Cooler $20.00: Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
RAM $40.00: Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

The X2 4000+ with that cooler should hit 3.0 without much problem, my brother runs his at 2.8 on the stock cooler. my 3600+ runs at 3.0 with the AC 64 mentioned. The ballistix is better than the OCZ RAM, I had problems with my OCZ platinums and returned them for Ballistix, i have 4GB of it running in two different systems, no problems at all and OC very well.

What mobo would you recommend for that 4000+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom