How do you update bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumber4578

In Runtime
I never updated a bios because I never had to. I have an ASUS mobo and saw that one of the updates (not the lastest) resolves the issue with computer temps when coming out of S3 mode. I have that problem. there is a file to download but i figured it isn't a regular .exe file. Do I have to unclock my puter? what are the steps?

you have asus, go in ur bios and look for something called "tools" in their u should see a utility called "EZ Flash", use that, look online how to do it and be careful! Only update if necessary.

Oh btw u need a .bin file to perfom a bios, put that on a removable media and then restart u computer and keep pressing Alt-F4

GL AND READ INFO ON FLASHING b4 u DO!!!!

go to ur manufacturers website, download the bios, extract it into a file, and then have it execute (in this case the isntallation further extracts the bin file) the files by changing the drive from A: to C:/whatever folder. Once you have the bin file simply copy that to watever media and follow the steps above.

dude don't use ez flash.I repeat DON'T! You never want to flash within windows. Unless you want a paperweight motherboard. I'll send you a link how to flash w/ usb thumbdrives. I've done it many of times and its pretty safe

now i am really scared! I dont' really have any of asus tools for updating becuse i am running vista 64. I guess I really don't need to update. I wanted to use S3 mode but didn't like it becuse my temps were through the roof when it resumed and m puter seemed to lag and needed to reboot. So I stopped using it. I just wanted to save some energy.

now i am really scared!

Thats good, I think. BIOS flashing is something that should never be taken lightly, so fear is likely to ensure you research the subject fully before doing it. As long as you do it properly and well, everything should be OK. I just think there is a tenancy for people to think its as easy and safe as installing new drivers- it isn't and should be done with care.

EZflash is, I believe the BIOS based programme (don't trust me! check!), not the windows one, and therefore should be OK. I would certainly not use a programme that will flash from within an OS, or one that will automatically download. Go to the Asus website Carefully check which bios you want for your board, read up online about that bios, and put it on a USB key. You can then flash from within your BIOS.

Just make sure you do the research and you should be fine.

As people said, it might not be worth taking the risk, just because you want the 'latest version'. Only do it if there is actually something that you need! (e.g. 45nm compatibility)

Its not an overwhelming risk, it'll be fine if you do it with care and research, its just that generally people are not scared enough, hence the slightly overly careful posts that everyone has made.

I always hear ppl say don't flash within windows...but I do it all the time

I flash my asus laptop with their windows based utility
I flash my dvdburner with it's windows utility (in vista)
and I flash my mobo with intel's windows utility (in vista)

technology is good :D

Just go in teh BIOS tools, and the board it self has a BIOS update tool. Put the bin file on a jump drive, and it will find it if it is plugged in. becareful and do your research, but it isnt hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom