Better 4 Buck? ASUS P5E vs Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogey

Baseband Member
Please only give input if you have experience with both boards.

GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-X38-DS4

^^^Gigabyte

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

^^^ASUS

First off, can I stick some DDR2 800 on that Gigabyte mobo? If not, then I'll just stick with the ASUS. But if it can take DDR2 800, which one is better. And which brand is known for their their mobo's lasting a long time? I have no intention of overclocking. Just stock speeds. I'm just not one to overclock for 3DMarks and stuff.

Thanks in advance for answering.

If you dont want to overclock, X38 is not the chipset for you. I would reccomend you to get a P35 board, such as MSI P35 Neo2-FR.

I don't really care for P35, as I was told its gonna be out dated soon. I want something future proof. And I know I'll upgrade to 45nm Quad when it comes out, if it ever does. People, please stop telling me P35 this and that.

haha, you ask for input and then someone who knows his **** (Vaanish seems to, anyway, I really don't know enough to know ;)) gives you advice...you ignore it.

Neat-O.

haha, you ask for input and then someone who knows his **** (Vaanish seems to, anyway, I really don't know enough to know ;)) gives you advice...you ignore it.

Neat-O.

gotta love n00bs who think they know everything, when they don't have all the facts, like p35 will get outdated after x38 does (x48 is coming sooner than p35's successor, and that p35 chipsets support 45nm chipsets out of the box)

I asked to compare between 2 mobo's. And all anyone does here is say "P35, P35, etc." Too me ts annoying. And the mobo he mentioned was not one of the two I asked about.

What exactly is it that leads you to the conclusion that X38 is more futureproof than P35? Is it the fact that its newer? Is it the fact that 8>5? The only possible reason I can see (particularly if you aren't overclocking), is the PCIe 2.0 support, but there has been no evidence that any current or future cards show any difference.

No, I haven't tried either board, but I think its important that you base your decision to write off P35 on hard fact rather than just hearsay. P35 will serve you just as well (as you said, no overclocking, not that there is noticeable difference anyway) and will cost a lot less. And has all the bugs worked out.

No I don't think 8 > 5.

I was just looking at the P35 mobo's. Something about going over $200 entices me. I'll link a sli mobo. Because even though I've been saying to myself, no sli, save money. I know I'll be too tempted in the future, got like ocd or something.

Newegg.com - EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

^^^EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Does/will it support 45nm quad and c2d chips?

edit - I'm not trying to be arrogant or whatever. Just going by what I read on other computer forums.

Well, if you want SLI and 45nm quad, 780i is just about the only way to go. The EVGA offering is a good option. I'm a little dubious about 780i as a whole, but they are good (if not spectacular) boards. I guess it is similarly the case of bang for buck. SLI isn't that much of an improvement, remember, unless you operate at very high resolutions with AA, (30% is a figure often slung around, but it depends greatly upon the application). Generally, I'd say a single, good GPU is a good bet, but simply from a 'better value for money' point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom