Raid setup.. kinda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
I basically needed to setup a computer with raid but kinda not... I have 4 devices that bossman wants on a single ide by themselves. So the hard drives are hooked up to ide1 and ide2, the cdroms are ide3 and ide4. Now my mobo on this is... Abit KR7A-RAID. There aren't any jumpers and I've looked through the manual and I'm guessing it has to be done through the bios. So I looked through the bios, this mobo is kinda old so I searched for any signs of raid, but didn't find it, although I only looked for 2 minutes.

So basically when I find it, is it as simple as "create raid" and then selecting the device on that cable to use? :)

You can't select the cables to be used... plus you must have 4 of the same size/speed hard drives for it to work, so it shouldn't matter in which order you connect them.

I don't understand the question.

sorry, basically this is how the layout is.
IDE1 - PRIMARY REMOVEABLE HDD
- SECONDARY CDROM
IDE 2 - PRIMARY DVDROM
IDE 3 (RAID 0) 40G HDD
IDE 4 (RAID 1) 60G HDD

So basically I want the 40g to run by itself and the 60g to run by itself, I don't want the drives mirrored or anything of the sort. I just want the RAID slots to run as extra IDE's.

Does that make a little more sense? Lemme know hehe

*edit* ohh and i wanted the 40g to be the master drive, so that xp will load from there. I've never done this raid thing before, my boss wants it done this way, so blame him :p

Well here's some more help just in case.

First screen in the RAID setup shows the options:
Create Array
Delete Array
Create/Delete Spare
Select Boot Disk

Shows my 60g as primary master and my 40g as secondary master... Acctualy it needs to be booting from the 60g, so it's all working right.. now I just need them to run as extra IDE slots instead of trying to run in raid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom