What Can I Overclock My AMD Athlon XP 3000+ to That Will Be Stable...and How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would not get that CPU to 3GHz, I am guessing here but I am presuming you think speed is all about the GHz - you have seen a Pentium 4 3GHz and you want yours to be that; obviously I could be wrong. It is not all about "Core Speed" and AMD have shown this with their Athlon range.

The only way to get your XP3000+ to GHz, i.e. +830MHz, is to use a VapoChill system and run your processor at a temperature of -50C.

You might have already read the Basics on How to overclock post, it should explain the steps of how to overclock and the temperatures you should be expected to have before you should even consider overclocking.

Arctic Silver 5 reduces the temperature of CPU's from 2C - 10C when compared to the thermal transfer adhesive shipped retail with CPU's or heatsinks.

In all honesty, I would get your processor idle temp below 45 before you try any kind of overclock at all. 2618 mhz is my maximum stable overclock on the Barton core, but my multiplier is locked on the current CPU so that was an FSB overclock only (238). This required a core voltage of 1.9 volts to keep stability; I would not recommend higher voltages than 1.7/1.8 without good water/pelt/VPC cooling.

ok guys thnx for the info, it will be put to good use, one more question, where in the bios is there an option to change the core voltage and will all the overclocking be done through the bios?

Thermal Grease is used for 2 reasons; 1 being that you can't put metal directly onto an electrical device, and 2 being, Thermal Grease fills in the gaps of the heatsink base for better transfer of heat.

The heatsink base may look smooth but there are actually microscopic "canyons" all over the place - the Thermal Grease fills these and this provides increased surface area for heat to be transferred from the CPU to heatsink.

Well thank you :)

Computers is a hobby beside my study of physics, but I wouldn't want to make everyone bored :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom