DDR2 & drive bays

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidsteve

Daemon Poster
ok i am just looking for information on the 2

the mobo i will be getting next monday supports DDR2 800mhz now i just need to know what to look for

i dont under stand the 4-4-4-4-12 thing and i would like to know which company would be best to go for i.e. OCZ, patriot ect

and drive bays, what do they do, is it worth getting one

thanks in advance

CAS latency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
you can fairly ignore the above if you don't tend to oc and just want to buy parts

as for brands...that's very subjective. I mainly care less on brand, but look at reviews, and I buy the ones with the heat spreaders (ram heatsinks)

drive bays...depending on what you are talking about....a standard case has drive bays, internal and external, 3.5 and 5.25..of varying numbers and combinations.

Computer case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
note the inset at upper right about drive bays

UNLESS you are talking about hot swappable bays, then of course, that serves a media centric PC well. As you just buy drives that can hot swap, pulling, replacing without powering off.

Hot swapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The HP Media Center PC
Iomega 33190 400GB Hot-Swappable Hard Drive StorCenter Pro NAS P400r Servers-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com
3 Drive (2 x 5.25") Hot-Swappable SATA Internal Drive Case SNT-2131-SATA SNT-2131-SATA

I still have 1 set of crucial ballistix for sale. 60 bucks shipped. They run easily at 800mhz 4-3-3-8 timings, or upwards of 1000mhz at 4-4-4-12.

Also have a set of 4-4-4-15 oczs and 5-5-5-12 corsairs that are ddr2 800 that both run perfectly stable at 4-4-4-12. 40 bucks each set. Just trying to sell off some of my older parts. I buy too much memory. Decided to go to 2x2 sticks instead of running 4x1.

Oh ya, i also have a brand new 8800GT 512 that i'm selling. (was my stepup card from my GTS320) that has quake wars that i'm selling for 340 shipped. Lemme know if you are interested in anything i can always just put the memory in the box with the video card :D

i should of put a link to the drive bay i was talking about (and said what i was thinking of for it)

Icy Box 138SK-B Full Alu Alloy Rack - Aria Technology

my dad is thinking of this for a HDD for my little sister (as a removeable storage) she uses a lot of music she can easyley fill 100GB + of just music so he was thinking this for a big hdd so she has a back up of all her music

he still had a 80GB hdd with all the music, videos and photos on of hers and was thinking big storage she can put in differant pc's and use again and again and again

would he be right in thinking this would be right

ah...well strange thing, only in how certain things are viewed :D
that item is a hot swappable drive, like I mentioned....the only caveat is you have to have a system or setup that handles that...that looks to be made for server type contructions

a typical vanilla case will not have the ability to service that drive...however it is not something so out of the realm...just needs the right hardware for the case

Live Search: hot swap drive bay

from the above link, first search matches what I wanted to illustrate ;)
4-Bay eSATA Hot Swap RAID Drive Enclosure
and alternative
Raid Back-Plane Aluminum Serial ATA Hot Swap 3-4 Drive Bay Converter

one is an enclosure, much like a mini tower just to house the hot swappables...the other is a drive bay converter...to allow the space in your tower to hold hot swappables...you would need a tower that has space for 3 external 5.25 bays.

if this would be too much hassle...just get a standard external harddrive :D

right thanks guys i'll tell him not to bother with that

he is making a desktop pc (tower or what ever) and is looking mor towards multimedia ( more music and videos )

i'll just tell him to get a decent external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom