Only see's 3 of my 4gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC_Caveman

In Runtime
I recently installed vista 64bit version basic home edition for my desktop, i installed the OS with only 2gigs of my memory inserted, then after updating my indows i installed the other 2gigs, and my Systems info, and Welcome Center only shows 3gigs(2.93-3.04). I know my OS can support Up to 4gigs and i can run CPU-z and it shows me having 4gigs, but even my bios only tells me i am running 3gig, i have seperetly tested each port and stick of memery? What am i missing?

This is the hotfix from microsoft that fixes issues with Vista 64bit and 4gb of RAM or more.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

Installing Steps

1. Download Hotfix from link above
  2. Install hotfix once done downloading
  3. When it is done installing DONT restart, go to Start>Shut Down
  4. Once your computer if powered down, turn off you PSU and unplug it just in case
  5. Place the extra RAM sticks into slots on your motherboard
  6. Close your case, plug in, turn on, boot up...cross fingures.

If your BIOS is only showing 3GB then one of the RAM slots is bad. Check out each stick one by one. When you knwo that all 4 are working start adding them one by one. Whenever you come across the one that doesn show that RAM slot could be bad.

Could also be tha tyour RAM has to run in Dual Channel pairs.

If it has to run in Dual Channel pairs that means that the chips have to be exactly the same and Dual Channel. That is how my motherboard is. I haev to get RAM in pairs. I can just buy a single chip i have to buy a Kit.

I have to update my gigabyte mobo bios to recognize my new processor and ram. I had version 5 (feb. 2007). it's now at version 12

i can try to update my bios, and i checked all ym ram they all work in all the seperate slots, and they are all same model and type. Im so lost on how to get my extra 1gig of ram

i can try to update my bios, and i checked all ym ram they all work in all the seperate slots, and they are all same model and type. Im so lost on how to get my extra 1gig of ram

you sure that it's 64bit vista and not 32 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom