Clean Installing Vista on my XP computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kruzz

Solid State Member
Hello all...

I just am at my wits end atm on handling a certain part of my new OS.

I just upgraded to the 780I motherboard and also moved into Vista OS...and so I'm aware and see that obviously all my XP files and stuff got moved to the folder called "windows.old" when I installed Vista (I did a clean installation) and what I need to know is;

What are the steps I need to do to move my games from there to the Vista game folder OR is there a way to delete/uninstall all of whats in the 'windows.old' folder so I can or could do a fresh install of my games??

I only have 1 HDD and I've gone through the list of 99 ways of tweaking Vista in certain ways, and so I've chosen a variety of ways that has given me more space on my hardrive, but since I quote still have XP and all that stuff still installed with now Vista and all the latest drivers and patches.. I have like 63gbs now available on my Raptor. Do I just start re-installing my games and leaving the windows.old alone and make due with what space I have available to do tha with?

This is my gaming computer, but doh, I'm sure you guys probably realized that by now lol.. I've taken like 3 days and slowly put this together and it's AMAZING - but it's now at the point me needing to find these few questions I've asked..answered.

Thanks for the help!! I'm sure this veerrry easy to get answered lol Also, if theres more info you need just say...

-Kruzz

Your best bet is to get all the info you want out of the folder then delete it and re-isntall the games fresh.

I'm fairly certain there isn't anything crucial that I need that is in windows.old folder. I've taken all my favorites from there and pasted them into Vista and whatnot...and I'd rather I think, start fresh with everything under Vista.

Do I just search out the windows.old folder and right-click on it and select "delete"?? IF I did that, would that delete the folder or will it do that and also automaticly uninstall all the files/games/XP files etc etc or will it still be hanging around in the background, hidden? lol.. get what I'm asking?

If it's a simple as deleting the folder...what a rookie I am j/k ahahha..

Thanks for your idea Makaveli.. I've been cruising these forums for the last year, and it's soo nice to get a responce from you! Thanks :)

-Kruzz

Well, I just went ahead and deleted the windows.old file and it automaticly started uninstalling everything...so I've got my question answered lol At least now I have 128gb's free so I'm heading over now to start re-installing games..

Thanks for the help.
-Kruzz

Ok, heres another question;

I've started loading CoD4 and that was like 40 minutes ago.. it's like 3/4 installed but this is retarted, that I know.

I swear I've read somewhere about something in this lineup somewhere, but I've looked around as it's slowlllly installing (laughs) and can't find any suggestions or help. What do you guys think??

Theres not been any conflicts or errors and each core is operating at like 40-60% and I just honestly can't think of what to check or change that is holding up my system... any ideas?

Thanks!
-Kruzz

Well sorry i didnt respond earlier. Been a buzy day.

But yes all you had to do was click delete. ;)

As for the CoD4 issue. I think there are some patches out there about this. I have heard of severa install issues with CoD4 and Vista.

Oh no worries, I know you have a life Makaveli ;)

I did delete windows.old like I said and it went well.. I'm actually tonight going to reformat my harddrive and I think that'll be good to make my mind feel better lol

Umm... well, that CoD4 did eventually install and I've played like 4 missions and on DX10 it's AMAZING! god, it's like real life looking... it is very close to the same as DX9c but still, it's very very much more crisper and detailed beyond anything I've seen so far. And the explostions and FIRES! wow.. lol
My plan was to go compare that obviously with Crysis but I installed it and it just starts the process of loading and then stays in the "black" screen..no sound no nothing. And when I would hit Crl+Shift+Esc the task manager would say it was not responding I think. Atm, I don't remember seeing any errors but that was mid-day yesterday when I tried it and so I can't remember..lol... I'll focus on this problem in a few days, to much going on atm lol.

Company of Heroes is VERY sweet as well.. so nice to finally see all these games on DX10 LOL Haven't tried SupCom yet..

I'll post more if I run into anything guys.. thanks for the help. Just love these forums here ;)

-Kruzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom