I Want to Learn How to Build Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doer.

Baseband Member
I've been wanting to for a while now. I have an idea on how to put a setup together, but I know there are probably things I don't know. Like for instance, I didn't know you need a 64 bit OS for 4gb of ram. I do have a basic understanding of the sockets and tech specs, but still more to be learned.

I was wondering if anyone was willing to teach me a few things. I have IM and MSN, whatever works for you. Basically,

I want to learn how to put a setup together (I know how to do this now, but I know there are things I should know that I dont)

I want to learn how to put it all together

I want to learn how to overclock

I want to understand the specs

If this sounds like to much, I'm willing to pay for it. I am paypal verified, and my word is good.

If you would like to help me out, my MSN is doer030288@hotmail.com, and my IM is do3r17

actually you don't need a 64bit os for 4gb of ram...and I'll leave it at that and see what others might say ;)

and I can only add, to keep things on the up and up, you can just by a motherboard, read the manual and the rest should fall into place

I'm sure any questions you have the forum members here will be happy to help if you post it up, there are several good guides stickied in the various forums too, it wouldn't hurt to check those out.
So far as putting a computer together is concerned its pretty straight forward and most hardware comes with pretty concise instructions these days, there are common pitfalls such as not firmly seating the ram or incorrectly installing the CPU heatsink but you'll get the hang of it real quick.

cool, thanks for the advice so far.

by the way, I just wanted to say these forums are awesome, their super active. Hard to find that in forums with so many forums scattering everybody around.

Ok I went through that all, and have a few questions. First, are there any sites that show you how to boot up from BIOS settings, he skips over that. Also, once the OS is installed, don't you have to install all the programs for things like the graphics card and such?

also, he doesn't mention using thermal paste to install the CPU, is that a necessity?

For a first Timer, no guide will include everything, you will just have to figure it out as you go. But to answer your questions.

Sites, Im not sure but I can tell you through a generlization.
Entering the CMOS setup (Or BIOS as everyone calls it now) can be done by press one or two keys on the keyboard duiring Power On Self Test (POST), it is dependant on the motherboard manufactur, however it is usually F1 or Delete.

Technically you don't have to install anything after the OS is installed, but of course it is reccomended that you first install the motherboard drivers, all drivers on the included disk, Install video card drivers next along with anything relating to the moniter, Optical drives or additional PCI cards.
You can activate windows next and continue to install whatever programs or applications you need.

It is reccomeneded that you install an anti virus program and turn on the firewall before connecting to the internet for windows update and other program updates.

As for the thermal paste, there are two methods basically. The dot and line methods.
The Dot method, Place a Cooked white rice sized grain of thermal paste at the exact center of the CPU, then clamp down and secure the heatsink. The heatsink will do all the spreading.
images

The line Method, make a small line through the center of the CPU, then secure the heatsink. The heatsink will spread the Thermal paste.
justenoughoi5.jpg

You should make the line slightly thicker than that.. But it gets the point acrossed, I have always used the Dot method...

And yes, Thermal Paste is required.. Always.

Ok I went through that all, and have a few questions. First, are there any sites that show you how to boot up from BIOS settings, he skips over that. Also, once the OS is installed, don't you have to install all the programs for things like the graphics card and such?

also, he doesn't mention using thermal paste to install the CPU, is that a necessity?
well you should always have the latest drivers for graphics cards and sound cards and such

and thermal paste is a necessity, if your not an overclocker then use the paste that comes with the cpu, if you are an overclocker then buy some mx-2

Go onto youtube and search build a computer there are some useful videos that can help you! Check it out

ok, thanks. So you put the thermal paste on the top. Glad you showed me that, I would of thought it goes on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom