Updating Graphics Card...Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiinji

Baseband Member
This would be my first time updating a graphics card on my PC. I don't want to go buy anything and it doesn't end up working with my computer and I don't know what it can handle and whatnot. Anyone know a good graphics card I can get that can run games like Bioshock, Crysis at Medium Quality? Suprisingly I was able to play both of these at low detail with my onboard graphics even though Crysis lagged quite a bit. Thanks in advance...

Specs of my PC

Not really worried about price but I don't need the most expensive card and I doubt my PC can handle a card like that but any card that would work fine with my PC and can run such games at least in Medium or Medium-High quality would be great.

With any card I get, I'm going to need a new power supply? And, the second power supply you mentioned has a few bad reviews. I'm not looking for the best card but thanks for your advice.

Your motherboard does not have a PCI-Express X16 slot according to the link so you can not add a graphics card.

Your motherboard does not have a PCI-Express X16 slot according to the link so you can not add a graphics card.
According to HP it does:
HP and Compaq Desktop PCs -  Motherboard Specifications, MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) 

Unfortunately HP doesn't list the PSU, but it is probably a 300W. Any high-end card on the market will require more juice than that.

Depending on how much you want to spend and what your demands are, you have some options. The 3850 is a great mid-to-upper card... plenty of horsepower but not top of the line. The 3870 is a more powerful version of the 3850. The 8800s are great top-line cards (they seem to be having a problem with WoW right now, though o.0 ). The 3870 X2 is a sheer beast of a card with two GPUs on a single card.

Check your budget, decide what your demands are, choose your card, and then choose a PSU that will power it. if you are not a huge gamer wanting to push ungodly framerates, and older card would do you fine. I have the X1950XT which is a couple of generations behind, but it chews through the games I play. The 7900s are comparable to it.

I think I decided to go with the 8800GT. Thanks for the help everyone.

That case is really small so an HD 3870x2 probably won't fit. A smaller card like the 8800gt is probably a better idea.

This psu is one of the best available and is an excellent deal.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

My power supply is 5.5" x 5.9" x 3.4" would the one you reccomended fit and ;eave me with no problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom