boiling liquid cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pts2800

In Runtime
well my friend has a nice computer, he has liquid cooling, and i was wondering how hot does water coolent need to be to boil, cus it does when he super clocks his computer more then anyone should, (he did this to see if he would be able to get cryis full settings but failed). he never tryed it again.

so my questions is:
how hot does it need to be to boil!!??!?

Depends what its made of. Looked some up on Newegg, and saw that it was made of Ethylene glycol. Dunno if all coolant is made out of this (doubt it..but I dunno), but ethylene glycol boils at around 200C.

We can't really answer your question without knowing exactly WHAT it was that your friend was using. While I am not into liquid cooling, and having never tried, I still know that the Bioling point of liquids varies depending on what the liquid is, altitude, etc. etc.

The key to remember, don't associate BOILING as needing a VERY HIGH temperature. Some liquids boil at ROOM TEMPERATURE. It is when a liquid changes state to a gas....

I should also note, perhaps it is due to a loss of pressure.... Butane (butane lighter for example) has a boiling point near O*C.... the reason it stays in its liquid state in the lighters is because the contents are under pressure.... not going to get into the science of it more than that...

well for pc liquid cooling he should be using 95% or so distilled water. I don't know what coolant additive hes using but boiling in the loop soudns a bit extreme.

For his processor to heat up the water that much while it was being actively cooled by the loop would mean running it at a temp that should have fried the chip in a heartbeat XD

Without know whats in his loop and goign on pure speculation i'd say the boiling point of water. which itself is hotter then these chips can safely run at anyhow XD

well for pc liquid cooling he should be using 95% or so distilled water. I don't know what coolant additive hes using but boiling in the loop soudns a bit extreme.

For his processor to heat up the water that much while it was being actively cooled by the loop would mean running it at a temp that should have fried the chip in a heartbeat XD

Without know whats in his loop and goign on pure speculation i'd say the boiling point of water. which itself is hotter then these chips can safely run at anyhow XD

agreed here

never heard of water cooling boiling?

maybe he's running a prescott :p

I think he's just wondering what it needed to get to in order to boil, not necessarily that his friend's LC setup was in fact boiling.

oh... well if its distilled water... i think the boiling point of water is 100c that seems hard to achieve on water... hard enough to achieve on air! and how high is "superclocked" as you claim

what voltage is he running through his cpu

well my friend has a nice computer, he has liquid cooling, and i was wondering how hot does water coolent need to be to boil, cus it does when he super clocks his computer more then anyone should, (he did this to see if he would be able to get cryis full settings but failed). he never tryed it again.

so my questions is:
how hot does it need to be to boil!!??!?

said right there his friend got it to boil ^_^

I'll just put up some random numbers but the Q6600 G0 is certified for what 71c? in order for the water in the loop to boil, (which is being actively cooled by the radiator),it would have to be upwards of 100c (boiling point of water) as the usual coolant added to the distilled water has a higher boiling point.

Id say the chip would have to be pumping out like 300c and have the GPU in the loop doin about the same haha.

Or like ethereal pointed out maybe he grabbed the wrong liquid off the shelf by mistake heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom