Laptop Wont install Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanFxr

Solid State Member
Presario 2100 Notebook. Windows XP

Notebook crashed and blue error screens appeared on my notebook.
I formatted the drive useing the XP disk however after it stated "copying files" it would not setup.
I entered BIOS and a test of the hardrive returned 'Failed"
I replaced the hard drive (80G Seagate).BIOS sees the harddrive as the correct size and the harddrive test returned "Passed"

I tried to install windows and at first it didnot see the drive.
I went to CSKDSK and bootfix after the check returned "boot files corrupted"
The windows CD formats and copys the files.
At 5% of setup the screen reports unable to copy file and blue error screen appears.Different files at different times.
Can BIOS be the problem?
Thanks forthe help.

It just sounds like you got a bad hard drive. Try using a 3rd party applicaiton like GParted, Acronis Disk Director or something else to format the drive then see if you can isntall XP.

Also have you done a Full format or quick?

It just sounds like you got a bad hard drive. Try using a 3rd party applicaiton like GParted, Acronis Disk Director or something else to format the drive then see if you can isntall XP.

Also have you done a Full format or quick?

Full format.
Yes I have run Acronis disk Utilities,It formatted and reads ok.
Booted fron the CD and ran chkdsk repair also.
I see the HDD lite on and its spinning.
Bios sees it.

I dont think the BIOS would be the problem. Does it BSOD out of the install? If so can you give a Error code?

could also be bad install discs...
what is the Windows XP from...came with system, purchased other source? legit? etc

could also be bad install discs...
what is the Windows XP from...came with system, purchased other source? legit? etc

I am using the reinstall disks that came with the Compaq 2100.
I also tried reinstall disks from a Compac 700US that I used on the system 6 months ago. I also tried an old copy of Win 98 .
They all get to about the same point.
At setup windows sees the disk:

C:partition1 (NTFS)
76317MB (76231 MB FREE)
on 76317MB Disk 0 AT IDO on BUS 0 ATAPI(MBR)

it then goes to setup then BSOD ,this last one read "not a valid windows file

I will run the mem check.
Would you say the new hard drive seems good?
Thanks

You don't have the recovery partition on the new hard drive so the reinstall disk won't work.

You don't have the recovery partition on the new hard drive so the reinstall disk won't work.

Doesn't explain why the Win98 disc wouldn't work, though.

I'd also suggest trying to just d/l a XP OEM disc from a torrent site (legal, for those of you who don't know). Just make sure to use your own legit serial that's on the side of your case. If you don't care about the recovery partition, just use that.

I'd say the HDD is good if it passes all of those tests, but you can try for a replacement if the RAM checks out ok. Have you tried other cables to see if they're at fault?

did you fiddle much more with bios besides that? when you are trying to re-install, make sure things are disabled you don't need

have you tried to resinstall before and have it successful? Or all attempts at reinstall are not successful thus far?
do you have access to another working pc? If so, put virtal pc on it and test your install discs.

hold your original install disc up to the light, do you see any pinholes coming through it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom