Business Computers - Estimated Life Expectancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim999

Beta member
How many years do you assign a new desktop \ laptop machine with regards to life expectancy?

With regards to future budgeting I would have thought that for a business class machine for the standard office environment it would be roughly:

Desktop Life Expectancy - 4 years
Laptop Life Expectancy - 3 years

Would be really useful to know what others think about this.

Thanks for all feedback!

I would say that it is impossible to dictate the life expectancy of a PC as they can be quit difficult to say when they are going to go. Alot of the time it depends how people them.

**** my last work lappie lasted me around a year, and my work machine was well and truely trashed with 18 months.

But it is truely fun demolishing work machines.

I have a toshiba lappy from 1999, and its still alive and kickin.
So that what? almost 9 years!

My mom has a compaq desktop from 2000, almost 8 years old.

Theres really no exact answer for how long they will last. But if you keep it clean and working properly, theres no reason a good desktop shouldnt last over 10 years. Will it be way outdated? yes, but will it still work? yes.

I have a toshiba lappy from 1999, and its still alive and kickin.
So that what? almost 9 years!

My mom has a compaq desktop from 2000, almost 8 years old.

Theres really no exact answer for how long they will last. But if you keep it clean and working properly, theres no reason a good desktop shouldnt last over 10 years. Will it be way outdated? yes, but will it still work? yes.

Yeah but common aint it fun to demolish the works machines just for a laugh, as long as you dont have to pay for it, there something you cant buy for example an ICT headshead pulling his head out just cos you wanted to see how fair you pushed the machine, and him.

Last machine I demolished, I wanted something of the hard drive so I removed it, the ICT dude more or less lost all his hair whilst trying to kill me.

Yeah but common aint it fun to demolish the works machines just for a laugh, as long as you dont have to pay for it, there something you cant buy for example an ICT headshead pulling his head out just cos you wanted to see how fair you pushed the machine, and him.

Last machine I demolished, I wanted something of the hard drive so I removed it, the ICT dude more or less lost all his hair whilst trying to kill me.

well thats not very nice....

if i were to demolish one of my work computers i would just toss it out of the 5th story window and on top of my boss' car. Hence, it would be an "accident".

um buisness machinese are left on 24/7 and that cuts the life expectancy alot, AMD and Intel give a 3 year warrenty on their CPU's not overclocked. So basically the CPUs will live for 24/7 for 3 years. Since us users only use the computer 1-6 hours a day, that increases the life a lot, so people say CPU's live around 10 years. Overclocking will dramically cut it down. The whole computer though, thats hard, videocard these days run idle 50 degress and thats just wasn't like it used to be. Hard drives would die the soonest, but thats a different story ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom