Need Help on an Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

wobble_the_ugly

Solid State Member
Right basically I need some advice, I have a pretty sweet rig as it is, and I am giving some serous thought to a major tweak to my little rig so to speak. I am gonna have to spend money on a new rig for the missus anyhow, and spending a little on mine at the same time.

This is what my rig is currently.

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
Conreo E6600 OC at 3.19GHz
2 Gig of Generic DDR2 Memory
Nvidia 7600 GT
2x 80 Maxtor SATA2 HDD
2x 320 Maxtor SATA2 HDD
Generic IDE Raid Card
Standard PSU 550 Watt

Now these are the upgrades I am thinking about.

1. To upgrade the processor to a q6600
2. To upgrade the graphics to a 8800GT
3. Finally I am thinking of replacing the 2x320GB HDD to 2x500GB

Right I have done some research, and I have checked that my rig can support these upgrades, and I have not found a reason why I should not be a able to, the only reason why I would not have is cos I needed to update the BIOS, which I have done this a few days ago, and my rig seems to be operating the same as before. Would the power supply be a possible problem?

Basically what I want to know, if you had my rig would you do it, and the reasons behind why you would or would not upgrade your rig.

I'd leave everything alone except the generic ram and the video...

I'd upgrade the GPU to an 8800GT

and the ram... I'd get what I pay for and spend a little money...
(cheap ram is exactly that... cheap)

I'd leave everything alone except the generic ram and the video...

I'd upgrade the GPU to an 8800GT

and the ram... I'd get what I pay for and spend a little money...
(cheap ram is exactly that... cheap)

Just wondering thats all, as I am gonna have to buy a complete new rig for the missus in the next few weeks, and she wants a processer like mine thats all, so was thinking of giving myself a nice new processor as a birthday pressie.

^^^ I second Veed's suggestion. That way you can buy the parts you want and get the good stuff as you go.

You definitely want to get decent RAM if you want to overclock with any stability, as well as a rock-solid PSU. Besides, why would you use a third-party RAID card when almost all mobos support RAID?

I am just wondering about minor upgrades, as I know I have a decent rig so for me I am doing an upgrade.

The reason why I am using a PCI raid card is cos most mobos have inbuilt SATA raid, and I have a two two DVD Burners and I also have a IDE hard drive, and most mobo IDE will only support two IDE. Its also handy for when I am burning alot, therefore I can use the both burners at the same time, at full pelt

I wouldn't bother upgrading to quad-core yet and a e8400 would be not much better than your oced e6600. 8800GT looks good

IDE? Who uses IDE hard drives? SATA is the standard now, and most upper-end boards have eight SATA connections on them, as well as built-in RAID.

You definitely need to hang out around here for a little while. We'll get you set up right...

IDE? Who uses IDE hard drives? SATA is the standard now, and most upper-end boards have eight SATA connections on them, as well as built-in RAID.

You definitely need to hang out around here for a little while. We'll get you set up right...

I know, I built my machine on a budget, thats why I am changing the hard drives, also it makes it easy to make sure that I can write more then one DVD at once.

SATA drives are the same price as IDE or cheaper now. Faster transfers for less money... definitely a win.

I put a DVD drive and a DVD burner in my old rig, but never used both at the same time. I just have a single burner in this one and it has proven to be plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom