Lost audio after downgrading from Vista Home to XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnkcirtap

Beta member
Vostro 200
Came with Vista Home, but I didn't like it, so I downgrade to XP Pro
After downgrade, everything seems to work after installing their proper drivers, except the audio. In my device manager, nothing similar to 'audio device' is listed. And when I go to Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Volume Control, it tells me that I don't have a mixer, which I assume the computer cannot detect the audio hardware. When I purchased this computer, I included ' Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition'. Of course, it came with a driver/backup CD. Unfortunately, it is for Windows Vista, so it is useless for XP.

I tried downloading and installing and uninstalling and installing a few drivers I found on the web (including both drivers listed for this desktop on the Dell Support page), however none of them seemed to work. I ran the Dell Diagnostic from the Resource CD, and during the sound test, All of the 'Did you hear the sound' type questions failed, other than the first one.

I am clueless on what my chipset is. On the System Information page provided by Dell, my computer config is as followed:

Quantity Parts # Part Description
0 01323 INFORMATION..., NO ITEM
1 CR907 INSTRUCTION..., DEVIATE L6 TO L5+, 200, MAIN...
1 DU685 PROCESSOR..., E6550, 2.33, 4MB, CORE DUO-CONROE...
1 DX348 PLACEMAT..., GETTING STARTED..., 200, MNTW, DAO/BCC
1 YH958 MOUSE..., UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS..., 2BTN, LEAD FREE..., ENTRY...,
LOGITECH..., BLACK...
1 RH659 KEYBOARD..., 104, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS..., UNITED STATES...,
BLACK..., DARFON ELECTRONICS, CORP...
2 PN424 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 1G, 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8
1 PN182 KIT..., SOFTWARE..., WORKS..., 8.5, ENGLAND/ENGLISH...
1 TT848 KIT..., SOFTWARE..., OVERPACK..., VHB32, A01, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK
DRIVE..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH... 0 83535 INFORMATION..., PART, ADVANCED
TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., DEVICE
1 WY388 ASSEMBLY..., DVD+/-RW..., 16X, HALF HEIGHT..., BARE, NEC
CORPORATION...
1 RN071 DISPLAY..., FLAT PANEL DISPLAY..., 24, E248WFPB, BLACK..., DELL
AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...
1 WU803 KIT..., SOFTWARE..., POWERDVD..., 7.0, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK
DRIVE..., 7.0-01
1 NR694 HARD DRIVE..., 80G, S2, 7.2K, 3.5, WD-UNIC

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Patrick

He said he tried the Dell drivers, and they didn't work for some reason. So I linked to another source.

The other source will have the same drivers. That is where Dell gets them. Use Everest to get the info on what is installed in your system and then google to find the appropiate drivers.

install the chipset. then install the audio drivers. in that order or it won't work

Microsoft doesnt want to make it easy to downgrade. So when they go into partner with people like DELL HP and the others they don't make drivers for most of the components. Especially laptops. I've ran into this many times. Just another marketing ploy.

Microsoft doesnt want to make it easy to downgrade. So when they go into partner with people like DELL HP and the others they don't make drivers for most of the components. Especially laptops. I've ran into this many times. Just another marketing ploy.

you can get them from the chipset maker's site or driverpack.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom