rejuvenating my rig..need some input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdLeft152

Daemon Poster
so i really am tired of not being able to play at 19x12 on my new screen, plus i have a copy of vista ult 32 just laying around i got for free from school that i'd like to take advantage of some dx10. anyways here's my plan, any suggestions or input would be much appreciated.

i want to keep the upgrade under $350 after all is said and done if possible.

buy:
i think i'll love this card. yall think it will serve me well for a while? (i don't/won't play crysis; World in conflict, Company of heroes, TF2, portal pretty much all steam games...those are the games i play. oh and bioshock once i buy it... can't wait to see that in dx10 on my screen :) )
Newegg.com - XFX PVT88GYDF4 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - $299 ($279 AMIR)
im a huge fan of DFI, plus i need a mobo that can rejuvenate my processor a little, hopefully 3.4ghz + :). i will be upgrading to a q9450/e8400 later though...
Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $135
and i'll need a new PSU since i won't trust mine with these new pieces..
Newegg.com - FSP Group Blue Storm II ATX 2.2 500W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CSA, VDE, NEMKO, CNS, CE, CB, FCC - Retail - $90 ($80 AMIR)
and finally the case which im absolutely in love with, and probably won't change my mind...
Newegg.com - Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - $140 ($80 AMIR)

and here's what i plan to sell...
my mobo in sig - $130 shipped, essentially trading one mobo for another. if anyone wants its PM me.
my 7900gs - hopefully can ebay it for $70-100. again if anyone is interested PM me.
my Case and 500W PSU - $50-100, again ebay.

and there is my plan. what do you guys think? after everything is said and done and those prices stay the same on those products, and i get the least amount of what i was asking for my gear, that would be $324 before shipping, which is my goal :).

p.s. also if there are any cheaper solutions please feel free to let me know.

yeah i was thinking about that psu too.. probably a good idea with the extra amps, plus its got the same orange/black theme my board has so it'll look nice together.

yeah i just ran across that DFI the other day, it looks to be promising. plus it looks purdy.

but everything else sounds pretty good?

i love my corsair 520. and 2nd vaanish's sugegstion. I just ordered a 4gb pack last night ^_^ it will be welcomed. i'll have to grab a 64 bit copy of vista though >.>

i love my corsair 520. and 2nd vaanish's sugegstion. I just ordered a 4gb pack last night ^_^ it will be welcomed. i'll have to grab a 64 bit copy of vista though >.>

if u buy like Vista Ultimate it does come with both 32bit and 64bit editions;)

as if microsoft needs any more money. If anythign the government should take some away.

They aren't getting mine.

With RAM prices as they are, I would upgrade to 4GB if your going to Vista.

that is something i have considered and will probably do in the near future (hopefully i can find some older xms2 though; i think the newer versions don't clock as well as the ones i have. nagasama if your selling your kit i'm buying lol). im not necessarily going vista i will still have dual boot with xp pro. i just will use vista for gaming.

yeah its an excellent psu from what i hear. i just don't want to spend that much on this comp right now :/ but i need something reliable and i think the VX will be fine.

if u buy like Vista Ultimate it does come with both 32bit and 64bit editions;)

well that may be true for retail versions. however i don't think my copy has both unfortunately.

i hope this upgrade will show alot of improvement for me :).

4GB Is a must for vista gaming.

yeah... i'll have to see how it goes for now. plus i only have a 32-bit edition as far as im aware. my friend's rig plays fine in vista with 2gb and an x2 3800+ and 8800gtx, so i think i should be alright for now.

edit: when i said i was using vista for gaming only, that would only be for dx10 compatible games... so everything else i would play in xp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom