Is it possible to use Xp for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
beedubaya said:
There are about 3 of these threads active right now. There are several ways u can go about doing this. Get an activation crack, get a corporate edition, buy a new copy of XP, or deal with Microsoft giving u a new activation code. Your choice, really, depending on how legal u want your system to be.

How do you get microsoft to give you a new activation code?

You are supposed to be able to do it using their "toll-free number." I've never attempted it and have heard nothing but horror stories about people who have tried it.

beedubaya said:
You are supposed to be able to do it using their "toll-free number." I've never attempted it and have heard nothing but horror stories about people who have tried it.

what kind of stories? Like it taking a long time or what? Why would they just give you one if they want you to go out and buy another copy?

You have to persuade them that you deleted Windows off of your old PC. If you can do that, they will give you a new code. I've heard this is nearly impossible to do though.

I have done it many a time, it is the only way to re-activate it from a system reformat or whatever. I did it and you are unable to use xp after 30 days if you dont activate it. To make things worse you have to call up and talk to the stupid phone. yeah the phone, some computer comes on and asks for the installation id (now if you activate more than one os with this they will find out and make you buy a new license). Of course microsoft is too lazy to get their tech people on the phone. Then you start slowing trying to get this damn computer thing to understand you voice and then when you are done chatting in this 40 something character key it says they cant find it...so THEN you can get the tech dudes, they then quiz you over all kinds of stupid crap. Then THEY give you another cd-key and you have to put that in, then you are all done. Possibly the stupidest thing in the world.

GameGURU said:
I have done it many a time, it is the only way to re-activate it from a system reformat or whatever. I did it and you are unable to use xp after 30 days if you dont activate it. To make things worse you have to call up and talk to the stupid phone. yeah the phone, some computer comes on and asks for the installation id (now if you activate more than one os with this they will find out and make you buy a new license). Of course microsoft is too lazy to get their tech people on the phone. Then you start slowing trying to get this damn computer thing to understand you voice and then when you are done chatting in this 40 something character key it says they cant find it...so THEN you can get the tech dudes, they then quiz you over all kinds of stupid crap. Then THEY give you another cd-key and you have to put that in, then you are all done. Possibly the stupidest thing in the world.

ok you mention its the only way to do it after a reformat. Well I have reformated like 3 times and used the same disc everytime and never called microsoft. Not sure if thats what you mean...

I depends on what version of XP you have. I use a student copy on XP Pro and have had no problems. I have hard plenty of problems though from people who buy OEM copies of XP Home.

beedubaya said:
I depends on what version of XP you have. I use a student copy on XP Pro and have had no problems. I have hard plenty of problems though from people who buy OEM copies of XP Home.

With reformatting? What does xp home come with if it is OEM? Anyways mine is xp home and never had to do anyhtig when I reformated so does that mean I have a good chance of it working with the new comp?

beedubaya said:

I have the Student Version of XP Pro also, it is just a pain for me (dont know why) but i need new keys every time i do this. I hate microsoft and I cant wait until the day that linux beats them.

Ice, that is a much better chance, if you dont have to call anyone up and demand an installation key and crap like that, then you might not get suspected. Although it may complain because it may know that the key is already in use. Like I said give it a try and tell me what happens, I would really like to know. Technically I think it is illegal, but buying the friggin OS should get you full privaleges for all household computers.

GameGURU said:
I have the Student Version of XP Pro also, it is just a pain for me (dont know why) but i need new keys every time i do this. I hate microsoft and I cant wait until the day that linux beats them.

Ice, that is a much better chance, if you dont have to call anyone up and demand an installation key and crap like that, then you might not get suspected. Although it may complain because it may know that the key is already in use. Like I said give it a try and tell me what happens, I would really like to know. Technically I think it is illegal, but buying the friggin OS should get you full privaleges for all household computers.

yeah thats what i think... and i think they should a least have a cheaper xp if you already have it. I mean 150 bucks is crazy if you already bought it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom