New Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
So my old motherboard is dead and I want to get a new motherboard/PC/Memory. I had a single core, DDR I, etc. Now I want something that's a bit latest but not too cutting edge. Maybe something that is a year old.

I just need this for my computer which will handle being like a main computer to which everything is connected to like hard drives, printers, etc. And also I can use it for web browsing, word processing, and also heavy application usage. I run a lot of apps and software in the background so I need something that will not slow me down when I'm doing other stuff on my PC.

-So should I look for a PC first then go after motherboard and memory? or look for a motherboard first?

-What, in your opinion, should be things I should be looking for? recommendations? etc.?

Thanks.

What's your budget?
do you game?
"heavy apps" meaning...???

from there we can help put together a build for you that I think you'll be happy with.

Should I go for a duo or quad core?

My budget is around $400-$500 for PC/Motherboard/Memory.

This is not for my gaming PC. I have a different computer for that. I want to be able to run virus scanners, antispywares, and other stuff in the background without bogging my pc down.

Also, are new motherboards still ATX? just making sure because my case is ATX.

So you making this essentially a server? might not be a bad idea to check out the local craig'slist a pick up a used one for cheap and make a barebones out of it. If you not using it for anything but apps like that, then (IMHO) it would be a waste of money to buy a Q6600 and not utilize it to it's full potential... a decent AMD 3800 dual core would more than do you for what I think your wanting.

better canvass first for your own...
better think for quality and durability..
and it's numbers..

I should buy a motherboard that has the same FSB right?

What does a processor's cach size do? should I go for 2M or 4M?

And, I'm looking for a motherboard with onboard video and audio because I won't be using a card for display. But would new mobos have EIDE/ATA so my old HDDs could run? if not, what hsould I do about my old HDDs?

And my old power supply is ATX, is that the same as 24-pin ???

Thanks.

and is express atx same as ATX?

So I really really like this processor:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

and I like these two motherboards:

Newegg.com - Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

This one has HThreading noted, different southbridge, less SATA ports, less audio channels, no SATA raid:
Newegg.com - Intel BOXDG965RYCK LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

And this is the memory I like:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Now the reviews say those INTEL boards are very sensitive about memory and you cannot change the memory voltage in BIOS. They take 1.8v. But the corsair memory is 1.9 v. Do you guys think that it's enough to put doubt on whether the memory will work or not? in that case how about this: Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Thanks for looking over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom