Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzt

Fully Optimized
I read an article that was short and too the point

Beginners Guides: Overclocking the Videocard - PCSTATS.com

With RivaTuner...

But now im confused :///

Since im running SLI'd 8800 gt's does raising there core and memory raise both at the same time?

Setting my fan speed from 29% to 50% ok? I dont notice a noise diffrence, juts a decrease in temperature... The cards are now at 62C, after playing CS:S on full possible graphics for the past like... 6 hours LOL omg time flys... is that a good temp?

Wat should i stress test the GPU's with? 3dmark06?

I'm raising my core clock by 3-6 MHz increments... Too slow? And if not too slow is there a test i can use thats shorter then 3dmark06? Or should i really really take my time with this oc'ing and run 3dmark06 each time?

What should i be looking out for MORE
artifacting+"snow" or keeping an eye on my temperatures?

Or both?!

and in the article it says RivaTuner has a test feature... my rivatuner does not....

Any advice on OC'ing the cards in addition to any answers to my questions is appreciated<3
:D
Drizzt

I'm also following this one now...

RivaTuner 2.0 fan speed & Overclock Guide

but it doesnt talk about SLI either... I noticed in GPU-z it picks up that the first cards core and memory clocks havent changed but that the 2nd card has... dioes this mean my other one is not receiving the changes or it juts isnt showing up? I mean the fan speeds must be changing because they have both been staying together for the most part as far as temperatures go.

I overclocked my video cards (x2 BFG 8800GT) with riva tuner and have noticed that changing the fan speed from 29 to 80 increased the noise level a little but GPU 0 got cooler while GPU 1 still runs in the 70's (c) while playing games. I suspect it's only increasing the fan speed on one card and was curios if there's a tab or something I missed that controls the other.

I just did another test and they are in sync. What I don't like is that if you set it to auto the fans run slow even when the card is running into the seventies. I had the riva tuner monitor window open to run my tests and after playing for a few minutes I got out of the game, my temps were in the 70s but the fans were only running about 30%. I put it on manual and ramped the speed up to 80% and the temps dropped like a rock. Seems like the 'auto' function works as good as Qfan on my motherboard. Reguardless of how hot things get your box will run nice and quiet. :( I wish these 'auto' features worked because as it stands it's either run too hot or have to manually turn up your GPU fans anytime you want to play a game.
I'm currently looking into how to adjust the temp settings in the auto fan feature.

oh, you should read this

RivaTuner 2.0 fan speed & Overclock Guide

I followed the instructions and i have it set so that my fans are at 60% as long as they are below 65C and when it is over 65C but below 75C then they are at 80% and when its 80C then the fans go to 100%...

But i think i screwd up because at stock everything i ran 3dmark06 and i got 13k about...

I oced them to 700/1000 lol :/ and my score dropped so i assumed i did soemthing wrong...

Thanks for that link. It should prove very helpful.
I'd like to find a program besides the Asus crapware that comes with my board to control my case fans.

well once you learn how to use riva tuner it is very helpfull...

but i recommend using atitool to find your max core and max memory first...

The only thing that confuses me with atitool (btw you can use atitool with nvidia hardware dont worry) is how long should i let it max out my core and memory? Because with core i let it run for 10 mintues then i was like "screw this i wanna play tf2 :p" and for memory i let it run for like a mintue and i got so many artifacts i had to restart -_-....

apparently my core runs fine at 712...i think having my memory at 1000 is bad though because my 3dmark06 score went down when i had it at 700/1000... but when i had it at 660/1000 it went up from stock...

I have a feeling im makeing it to hard for myself lol :/

ricanflow I have three hardware fan controllers sitting in my closet. Every one I've purchased has been junk junk junk. If you have one to recommend then I'll certainly look into it but in my experience they are more trouble than they are worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom