AMD, Intel difference in $500!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fofoo

Baseband Member
Hello. Im looking for a new computer, and have my eye on two particular ones. The specs for both are EXACTLY the same, even same manufacturer, just the processor chip thats different.
The computer with the AMD Athlon XP 3200+, is $400 CHEAPER than the P4 2.8/ HT. Now im thinking, do they differ that much in performance?

well, which 2.8? C or E?

both have HT, but have different Core, C = northwood, and E = prescott (newer, but not as good as northwood).

BEST IS: get AMD 3200+ Barton and Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard.

The P4 is a little faster (literally under 5%), but that's the only difference. I would DEFINATELY buy the Athlon chip. If you still have the $400, buy a better video card or something!

Adding one more thing : a previous mistake,

Intel 2.8 E (the one on prescott) is not capable of HT, its only C series that is with HT
, other E series are with HT definately, but only the 2.8E isnt, and as wll its with 533 Bus

prescotts are capable of ht. where are you buying ur parts? wtf 400$ difference?

if u get them from newegg the 3200+ and 2.8e are almost the same price

There has to be more of a difference than just processor to justify a $400 difference. Most computer manufacturers will tell you things like "512MB DDR RAM"or "128MB Video RAM on GeForce FX Integrated Graphics," or "80GB HDD." These specs are misleading because they don't tell you the speed of your RAM, gfx card, or HDD. My guess is that the one for $400 less is built with crap parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom