Is this upgrade worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
I plan on buying an 8800GT 512mb. I will upgrade everything else in the future, but i jsut want somthing to get me more fps right now. Will my CPU make this upgrade not worth it? In Day of Defeat source i get about 30fps max settings. I am wondering even with my current cpu if i go from an x1600pro 512mb to the 8800GT will i get ATLEAST 30 more fps? In about a month or so i plan on buying a dual or quad cpu and the DS3L gigabyte motherboard + 2gb DDR2
Put in a new PSU last night. Went from 450w 12v@18a to the ULTRA XFinity 600w dual rail 12v@18a 12v@20a. (so far its running good!)

Specs:
KN8 SLI
AMD 64bit 3200+ (2.09ghz)
x1600pro 512mb
2gb ram

How much money are you looking to spend? If you are going to build a whole new system, you might consider just waiting until you get the whole new system. at which point I would suggest a 8800GTS 512.

As for your actual question, I can not tell you if your cpu will be a bottleneck. Likely, it will. but the upgrade will still help you tremendously.

See, i dont want to spend the extra 100$ for the 512mb GTS (GT out performs the 320mb and 640mb GTS)I just want the vid card to hold me over for now and then i will spend the 400$ on the motherboard ($90) ram ($40) Quad core CPU($260) ok so a lil over 400 lol

well the GT is a great card, so it will do just fine. And you will probably be slowed down by your cpu, so yes. But if you are going to upgrade your whole system soon, id say go ahead and get it.

what do u mean by bottleneck? I know it will run slower than it can, but won't it still be way better than what I have now?

does the 12v rail plug into the video card? How does that work? My psu has dual rails 12v@18a and 12v@ 20a. Is that good enough for the 8800 and a quad core in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom