AM2+ cpu in an AM2 slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1413

Baseband Member
well, i know they are backwards compatable, but i really havent found a good explanation of what exactly i will lose by putting a phenom into my m2n32-sli deluxe wireless edition mobo.

can any1 explain? b/c im really thinkin about doing it... but then again i know they dont over clock too well and i need at least 2.8ish for my games to run perfect :)

Socket AM2+ has some differences however that will be used in AM2+ chips, there are two main features in Socket AM2+ not in Socket AM2:

* HyperTransport 3.0 operating at up to 2.6 GHz
* Split power planes: one for the CPU cores, and the other for the Integrated Memory controller (IMC). This will improve power savings especially with integrated graphics if CPU cores in sleep mode but the IMC still active.

AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards. However, due to the lack of support of HyperTransport 3.0 and separated power planes in Socket AM2 motherboards, AM2+ chips will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (HyperTransport 2.0 at the speed of 1 GHz, one power plane for both Cores and IMC). AM2 chips will not benefit from faster HyperTransport and separated power planes on AM2+ motherboards as they do not support them, AM2+ motherboard then fall back to compatibility mode using AM2 specifications.

some support them, so do not.
amd doesn't control mobo makers and if they decide they do not want to release a bios for the phenom (hello evga you punk *** b****es), then your mobo wont "support" it. it may still work, but you will lose most of your bios functions and teak controls. ie you may not be able to adjust the multiplier or cpu voltage etc etc.
the differences that sylus pointed out are "technically" the only things you will lose out on.
not sure about the asus mobo you have, but you will likely have to update the bios and you may also lose out on some of your bios/overclocking ability when you do. of course, it could actually add more than you have currently. it did when i put the foxconn bios into my evga board (hhahahahah screw you evga).

Evga doesnt have a bios out for phenoms? That sucks, i had to flash to bios 1202 on my board to support the 5000+ be, and that added pehom support as well. Good for me, cause i can make this rig last a long time, just throw one of those 45nm phenom be's, oc upwards of 3ghz, and ill be good untill 2009.

nope, and according to their ******* tech support, they aren't going to release one.
i put the foxconn bios in that apokalipse sent me and it may support a phenom, dont know yet.
although, if i decided to buy a phenom i would likely go ahead and get a new mobo. i'll see when the 780a comes out. but you can be assured i will buy an XFX (or hopefully ABIT will make one), not an evga.

How about asus? They tend to be very good with updates, i wonder just how well a phenom would run on this board.

couldnt say, i've never had an asus mobo. they are one of the more popular makers, so you'll probably be fine.
also, your chipset is still supported, and still made and sold. the 590 SLI that i have is officially DEAD. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom