fan positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

sintan

Baseband Member
i'v got a Coolermaster CM-690 Dominator with a fan at the front and one at the side.
there are available vents for 2 at the top, another at the side, one at the rear and one on the bottom (case is risen) and i got 3 spare 120mm fans to go in. findin any definitive info about the placement of these fans has led me to many unresolved disputes. its my belief that the front fan blows air in while others blow it out.
what are peoples thoughts about where and how these fans should be installed?
cheers guys

You know what I think.. You should adjust fan flow according to the flow going on in your room.. like say.. Your side panel would get fresh air so you should set that fan for intake flow...

WonderQuest: Gravity pushes flames and hot air up

What I concluded by reading that page that you should make fan flow out take on the top.. this way you may get better results..
( You should just wait for the perfect answer from experts because.. I just used G.K. and replied..)

it's all iffy with 1 basic thought...and others variable...

ie., 1 blows in, 1 blows out...the others you can adjust but achieve a balance

peter says to blow in from the bottom...whereas I would say blow out...only because dust settles to the bottom and I would not want to suck dust up from around the case :D....BUT the vent on the bottom may just be a vent and not a place for a fan...so keep that in mind

top slot is good for sucking air out

the back one should suck out...

so here's a quick breakdown of how I would do it if i was to add more fans..including the ones you have already...
---
front suck in
back suck out
nothing on bottom
top suck out
side 1 suck in -- if vent is near or over cpu
side 2 suck out --

I use "suck" because I think it's more clear in an illustrative sense ;)

Mine:

Front: Intake
Side: Intake (Right on top of the HSF)
Top: Exhaust
Rear: Exhaust

You just want a good flow. And use filters for your intakes or you'll be cleaning dust out every month like me.

On my case i have 1 80mm intake, 1 80mm exhaust, 2x80mm on PSU and 2x80mm intake fans on side

should i change one of the side mounted fans to "sucking" (lol) out as opposed to sucking in

ok, ive gone for atomic tofu's advice and temps have dropped already, not that it was overheatin, but im hopin to do some OCing:
front - intake
back - exhaust
top - exhaust
side 1 - intake over cpu
side 2 - exhaust

side 2 is directly over the gpu.

there are two fan grids at top of case, i went for the one thats not over cpu as the side fan is doing this, plus it was almost impossible to get to it.

turns out i've got another spare fan lying around, i'll save this for later, 5 fans is enough for now eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom