Cannot Delete A Folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajete

In Runtime
I'm going to be as short and descriptive as possible. I've provided screenshots for visual back-up. I'm hoping with the forums help we can resolve this matter.

It's started when I was recovering files off my external drive with a software called R-Studio data recovery. Got all my stuff back... But...

Now on my desktop sits a strange... un-destroyable folder. It's name is "files"!

image1.png

Muwahahahaha! It's actually the two sub folder inside "files" I can't delete.

image2.png

Because you see, when I try to delete. This freezes.

image4.png

It's stays there a VERY long time. I can't defragment my drive either as well as perform a disk clean up.

The computer won't find the 15GB worth of info in the folders. Funny thing is... My CPU isn't even working.

image5.png

And to make things worse I can't even hit properties on one of them... God knows how big the demon file is.

image6.png

Let me list what I've tried to do to delete it. Perhaps I could do more I'm unaware of?

1. Attempted to delete "files" regular, wouldn't work.
2. Tried to over write the files by creating duplicate folders and placing them in "files".
3. Tried several softwares, such as file shredder, folder destroyer, ETC. THEY ALL FREEZE!
4. Tried to erase the file in safe mode... That went horrible.
5. Tried to do a system restore. Didn't do squat. (like usual).

Can some one tell me how to erase the demon file from **** from my HD! Kinda ran out of ideas.

You can try Hijackthis's delete on reboot feature.
KillBoxs, delete on reboot or delete after ending Explorer.exe
DeepDelete, just google it.

You could also try a linux live CD, to delete the file without booting into windows..
You could also try the recovery console through your windows XP Disk, using DOS commands to delete it..

You can try Hijackthis's delete on reboot feature.
KillBoxs, delete on reboot or delete after ending Explorer.exe
DeepDelete, just google it.

You could also try a linux live CD, to delete the file without booting into windows..
You could also try the recovery console through your windows XP Disk, using DOS commands to delete it..

I can't use any of those. I'm not trying to delete a file remember? I'm trying to delete a folder and these programs won't let me pick a complete folder and delete it.

A Linux LiveCD shoudl do the trick. This is the problem with using recovery software. Basically what has happened is that it recovered files but now those files cause the PC to freeze. You will need to use Linux to do this. As it wont load Windows at all. You say safe mode wouldnt work that is you best option. If that wont work you are seriously out of luck.

If none of the things Ste suggested works format. Really he gave the best answers.

It isnt DOS. It is a Command Prompt which is still controlled by Windows. Trying to do it thru the Command Prompt will still cause it to freeze. You dont have to know Linux. It works and acts just like Windows. It is not like you have to use all these obsecure commands. It is GUI based just like Windows. Try it that is your best option to get this deleted.

What is the command in DOS to delete it?

I don't know much about DOS.

And i don't know a single thing about Linux =(

Through recovery console when you boot off your windows XP disk, you should be able to browse to the directory in which this folder exsists then use del "folder name"

Here is a list of the commands you will need and a description.
Recovery Console Commands

If you have a Windows CD and can figure out how to use the dos commands to "cd" to the directory you want to delete and "del" that directory, that would be the quickest way for you because you won't have to download anything.

If you just can't do DOS stuff, go to Ubuntu's web site and download their Live CD, which is around 695 MB. Burn the iso file to a CD with an image burner and boot to the CD. It will boot to a nice Linux GUI and it should automatically detect your Windows hard drive and put an icon for it on your desktop called something like "hd1". You can double click on that and it should bring up a file browser similar to Windows Explorer where you can navigate to the folder you want to get rid of and delete it just like you would in Windows Explorer. In Ubuntu, you won't be hindered by the restrictions you are having in Windows (but that can be dangerous if you delete a directory you shouldn't). If that icon is not on your desktop, go to the Places menu on the top taskbar and there are options to browse your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom