No Product Key on PC Case = Fake Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
there were people around here that would use a bootleg corporate copy to fix everybody's machine when he reinstalled windows

While knocking Geek Squad and Firedog is way too easy, they are what they are. Most of them only know what the manual tells them, and have never worked with or on a computer before they were hired there. Those who know computers may work there, buy usually not for long.

I considered working for the GS, but decided not to bother. I have my own way of doing things and am not gung-ho with doing it a different way. There are also some thing s I WILL NOT install on a computer, such as Norton that they like to push. I use a lot of freeware when I work on a computer, and these work as well or better than the majority of commercial products available, but wouldn't be allowed to do that there. I charge a very fair price for my work, so their price scheme would definitely go against my own judgment.

Back on topic... I have no Windows sticker on my case as it is not a pre-built. I do have the key in a couple of hard copies that I have put away for safe keeping, though. I have also used a couple of different programs to retrieve my keys to various programs and Windows. Any repair person who actually has the audacity to state that a computer that doesn't have a Windows sticker is not running legit needs to be punched squarely in the mouth, have his pinkies severed, and be barred from ever touching a computer again. ;)

Back on topic... I have no Windows sticker on my case as it is not a pre-built. I do have the key in a couple of hard copies that I have put away for safe keeping, though. I have also used a couple of different programs to retrieve my keys to various programs and Windows. Any repair person who actually has the audacity to state that a computer that doesn't have a Windows sticker is not running legit needs to be punched squarely in the mouth, have his pinkies severed, and be barred from ever touching a computer again. ;)

LOL, a bit gruesome, don't you think Trotter?

They just have to follow a script. I can't tell you how many times I've been in many computer stores and listen to the sales tech people sell stuff to people that they don't even need ! I've even been in computer shops where the tech tells the person that they cant help them they need a new computer. I'll wait outside and grab them and offer to fix it for them usually for very little money.

They just have to follow a script. I can't tell you how many times I've been in many computer stores and listen to the sales tech people sell stuff to people that they don't even need ! I've even been in computer shops where the tech tells the person that they cant help them they need a new computer. I'll wait outside and grab them and offer to fix it for them usually for very little money.

Haha, that's a very good way to get business for yourself lol.

So what about if you get one of those HP or Dell Windows cd's that include the OS installation software, I'm assuming they would consider this to be bootleg software as well

So what about if you get one of those HP or Dell Windows cd's that include the OS installation software, I'm assuming they would consider this to be bootleg software as well

Uhh...actually...installing that on a pc other than the one it came with...would be bootleg I think...

Brinson is right. That technically is bootlegging. ;)

In a way I think it could be considered bootlegging. I have seen Dell send those types of disk out with their logo and saying its Windows XP or whever version.

But if its there and its legit key and everything uncept the disk isn't, I think it would also be legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom