XP Icon Text Loses Transparency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, so you're accusing me of mac fanboysim now? That's rich. I thought your arrogance was irritating before. Please, if you don't have something constructive to contribute to the conversation, just stay out of it.

BootCamp may be beta, but it is provided by apple for the hardware, along with the drivers. Running Windows on a MacBook is no less stable than practically half the laptops out there thrown together by third-rate companies like Gateway, HP and Dell. The hardware drivers were actually far easier to deal with and get working properly than the ones for my Gateway laptop or my homebuilt power workstation, which used only hardware components from reliable vendors with good driver track records.

The problem isn't that I'm refusing to consider the possibility that it's the Mac's Windows drivers, but rather that you read "MacBook" and immediately go "OMG IT'S MAC'S FAULT END OF STORY" before even reading the rest of the thread or considering other possibilities such as the ability to fix it to the way it was just a few nights ago.

Frankly I expected nothing less from you. Having read your "contributions" to my other threads, I knew that sooner or later you'd pop in here to congratulate yourself with your erroneous suggestions, ill-formed advice and arrogant remarks. Sure enough, here you are.

I realize you're probably used to dealing with average Windows users who have the technical know-how of a rock, but as you should well know by now, I'm not an average Windows user, and I know what I'm talking about, so please, show some respect. It's insulting to suggest that I hadn't already thought of the hardware drivers as a potential cause. However I happen to know enough about how that works to rule it out as the answer.

The MacBook is a very powerful machine. This isn't some 20th century chipset. If the drivers and graphics processor have no trouble rendering advanced desktop elements that aren't even built-in Windows features, alpha-channels, hardware-accelerated 3D games and the like without so much as a hiccup, there's no reason it should be choking on displaying icon text without a square backdrop. Just about the only thing it can't do, is take a screenshot, because there's no printscreen key on the keyboard, and Command-Shift-4 isn't a combination that does anything outside of Mac OS.

EDIT: Also, just because I can point it out, OSX Leopard was only released this year. Try and name one OS that didn't have more bugfixes in the first month of its release than all of its competitors did in the same time period, and then tell me how that makes all OSes simultaneously inferior to all other OSes. Your argument is invalid. And why are you even trying to discuss this? This thread is NOT about Mac OS, it's about problems with Windows. Quit with the red herrings, ad hominem, and other assorted logical fallacy arguments already.

EDIT2: Mac forums are a joke. I've only been using the OS for a week, and I already know more about how their own OS and hardware work than most of them do.

Ok, rebuilding icons does nothing.
Disabling all hardware acceleration does nothing (therefore, as I said before, it's not the hardware drivers)

It's not unreasonable for people to ask what changed on your computer between the time it worked and the time it stopped working. I was the first one that asked about working video drivers, and I didn't have any clue what your technical level is. Also, I don't have any idea what changes have been made that could have either broken the drivers or somehow removed them or installed over them. There is no reason to look down on a response like that when we haven't been there to see everything you have done on your computer.

I suggest that if you want people to try to help you, you shouldn't make yourself out to be super elite and more knowledgeable than everyone. You shouldn't bash people for tossing around ideas. Why not just take all of the ideas, and if you know some don't apply, just don't use them? It's as simple as that. Having an attitude doesn't motivate anyone to help you.

TheEmperor pointed out the incorrect way of fixing it on Windows, which happens to work anyway in a few rare cases, due to the fact that Windows is full of bugs like that. It's nothing but a bug workaround method. So it would be unreasonable to assume that there are no other bugs or potential causes and ways of working around them.

Ok then captain smartass, what's the "correct" way of fixing this issue under windows that does not involve having programmer level access to the code base?
If you've already tried something you should perhaps thing about putting than in your question when you ask for help, maybe?

If I KNEW the answer, I wouldn't be asking here for it, would I?

The correct approach is to google for the problem first, and try all of the fixes listed, which I did. That was one of the first ones, and it didn't work. I forgot to mention one of the dozen or so things I tried in my post. so sue me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom