random total lock ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

faceshed

Beta member
hello first post here; I've been looking all over there net for someone with a problem like this to no avail.
I hope to brain storm a bit here and narrow the problem down if not fix it so as with all brain storms there no such thing as a bad idea.

I'm fixing a computer for a friend for free so I don't have all the computers stats but I might get them all in full soon:
pentium II 4XXmhz
256 or less ram
pci network card (for a new cable net connection)
running windows xp sp2

the problem starts about half a min after startup half the time it will freeze and the other half it will wait for a random time and freeze sometimes hours later. the freeze is not a slow down when it freezes everything just stops all at the same time and the only way out is to hit the power button.
so far I have tried 2 virus scans and checked with process explorer and hijackthis and didn't see anything abnormal other then a bit of spyware I used msconfig to stop everything non-windows from starting up and got nowhere.
also for some reason I couldn't get the computer into safe mode with F8.
due to a time limt I did not check the ram but I plan to next time I get my hands on it.
I also saw something odd that I left alone at the time, the computer seems to think theres 2 monitors hooked up when theres only one.

in other smaller posts I have seen on the net a lot of people say it's hardware but I don't think it is because it locks up only after the start up never during boot up.

my first thought would be hardware related. i suggest creating a bootable cd to further diagnose that path. maybe something like this would work.

Link: UBCD for Windows

it could also be driver related.

Hello faceshed Welcome to Tech-Forums.

As ECTech has said. I would go hardware right away as well. It doesnt have to be right at boot to be a hardware issue. Could be overheating could be driving the system to hard. That is a older system and just barely over the minimum specs of XP. So it could be down to what software you have running. Even a Virus scanner would make that system lag.

So start off with the basics first. Run MemTest86 to make sure the RAM is alright.

Try and take out the newley installed network card and test it without it to see if that is a problem being this IS an older system.

I have ubcd already but I have yet to try it out much though I did load it up at one point to check for something and the computer did not freeze.
I don't think it's overheating because it locks up more often at a specific time right after you log into a profile (the same time wintendo loads most 3rd party programs and junk).
also I think there net card has been around I meant to say that the net connection is new sorry about that.

also something I forgot about that I'm now slapping my head for not thinking about sooner (I changed my first post to include this):
the comp thinks theres 2 monitors when theres really only one I left it alone at the time because I didn't have time but I don't know how I would fix it other then maybe reinstalling or updating drivers.

The Monitor issue is easily resolved. Right click on the desktop and Choose Properties. From there go under settings and choose the phantom 2nd monitor. From there just uncheck the box that says Extend My desktop to this Monitor. Gets rid of it.

As i stated already it could be overheating due to the specific time. You say it freezes after you log into a profile. Which is when the system comes under heavy load. Which generates more heat.

What is Wintendo? That coud be the source of the problem. Get into Safe Mode Start>Run>msconfig.

Turn off all startup apps except the Anti-Virus and firewall. IT is a 3rd party app that is most likely causing this now that we have gotten soem more info.

I had an issue much like yours, but I don't really think they're related because of the age of the system you're talking about. I had a bad pci-express slot and it would just get into a dead lock randomly. I replaced or upgraded about half of the components in my new build only to realize that I needed to move the video card to another slot. But I'm guessing your problem is either driver related or hardware related. Does the computer have integrated graphics or a dedicated card?

Ahh. See i have never used Wintendo. I have a Nintendo Emulator but it only runs when i want it to. ;)

no sorry wintendo is me making fun of windows.
I think I said used msconfig and dubble checked my work with prosess explorer so nothing like that was loading that was my first guess, I even tryed shutting down anti-virus and other things but that was no help.

and I'll try the "Extend My desktop to this Monitor" next time I get the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom