cliche video card question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll just stick with something cheap for now and dump 100-150 on the card later.

In that case, I may just get a small form 8400GS that should work for a couple weeks until my following paycheck...

Well, yeah. But then again, I may as well have a backup PCIe card right? lol. I have three or four random AGP video cards laying around and with all the work I do on my own and my friends and family's computers, they come in handy at times.

Of course, the mobo I ordered does have onboard, but I don't know if I can use that for an entire week (Oh, my!).

Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

I'm extending the budget, I'm liking this EVGA card.
In order to do that, I'm taking the processor down a notch, and I have a question about that.

The Celeron E1200 only has 512 cache whereas the Pentium E1240 has 1mb. Is it that much of a difference, both are dual core, both have the same cores, yadda yadda. I can only assume that even the Celeron version will outperform my current Athlon 3400+ and I have also heard it's easily overclockable.

Bump, it's been a few days...

I bought the E2140 and plan to overclock it, but now I have an extended budget for the vid card, I'm planning on getting a 8600GTS, but what's with the clock speeds? I'm looking at newegg, and many manufacturers are stock overclocking the cards, and I'm wondering if a 20-50mhz bump is worth the price.

I have my eye on this guy impaticularly: Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N761-AR GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
I want single slot cooling, but still active, and I want reliability as well, that's why I picked a card that's not overclocked, I have heard about stock oc'd cards getting too hot.

256 bit in that price range, now that's what I'm talking about, but what is PCIe 2.0?

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR 945GC Micro 775 LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail This is my board, I can only assume that since it's new, it can support 2.0, but it doesn't seem to be in the specs.

Also, the 6 pin connector, I have to dig out my spare modular PSU wires to see if I have that one, I do believe the 8600GTS does not require an extra connector.

If I find the connector though and my board supports 2.0, that card may be a taker, if not for the 256 bit alone.

EDIT: It comes with a power adapter, but I know for a fact that I don't have two extra molex connectors to make it work...

So reading more, it looks like the card is backwards compat with PCIe x16, but I am going to upgrade the PSU since mine is only a single rail anyway.

I found this today, and I think it'll be perfect.
Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 RX W0136RU ATX12V Ver2.2 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CUL, TUV, FCC and CE certification - Retail

Good enough to power everything?

E2140 gonna be oc'd
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2
Radeon HD 3850
one HDD and one optical drive

A very humble system, but I know that power demands are ever expanding...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom