going VISTA, some Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhasser

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I'm going to go Vista for my new build, as looks are everything :D lol.

Anyway, couple of questions.

1. Is there a SP1 already?
2. If I install 32bit, but would like to get 4GB ram sometime nextyear or so, wuld I be able to up my Vista to 64bit with no problem, or does that includes reinstalling/reformating/godknowswhat? Or should I just just pop 64bit straight away, any performance issues comparing to 32bit?
3. How much space does it takes?
4. If I'd want to keep my Document, games, media and what not on other partitions is that ok? As XP is messed up - even it allows to install programs in diff. locations, there's a huge pile of them in the Application Data on C:\, which is sad.

Thanks a lot :).

And another thing, if I'll use my XP first, and then install Vista on top - will XP leave any mess behind? You know, files, folders, drivers... Or is it going to be clean?

Coming out very, very shortly.

2. If I install 32bit, but would like to get 4GB ram sometime nextyear or so, wuld I be able to up my Vista to 64bit with no problem, or does that includes reinstalling/reformating/godknowswhat? Or should I just just pop 64bit straight away, any performance issues comparing to 32bit?
Just install 64 bit straight away....there's no performance issues whatsoever.

Probably around 5-10gb for install, but I would leave about 30-40gb for the drive.

4. If I'd want to keep my Document, games, media and what not on other partitions is that ok? As XP is messed up - even it allows to install programs in diff. locations, there's a huge pile of them in the Application Data on C:\, which is sad.
You can make another partition and back up whatever you want on it.

And another thing, if I'll use my XP first, and then install Vista on top - will XP leave any mess behind? You know, files, folders, drivers... Or is it going to be clean?
Format the partition first so that it will install on a clean drive.

Hey guys, I'm going to go Vista for my new build, as looks are everything :D lol.

Anyway, couple of questions.

Thanks a lot :).

1. No. There is news all over the place. It is not slated till March. Rumor mill has a date of Monday but dont believe it.

2. You can NOT upgrade from 32 Bit to 64 Bit. So when you get 4GB of RAM you will have to format and re-isntall Vista 64 Bit.

3. Vista requires 20GB to install.

4. You can install your stuff in other places and move those folders around. Just like you can in XP.

As far as 64-bit goes, there is no performance issue, but there may be other issues. Make sure there are 64-bit drivers for all of your hardware, and make sure all of your software will work with it. I think most software will work, but I have heard of some things that are a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom