Ready to overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

J9Darkwing

Baseband Member
ok, I've overcome some technicalities and believe I'm ready to do some serious overclocking. The components of my system are listed in my signature. Here is the list of the 'extreme overclocking' tab of my bios

AI Tuning - Manual

System Clocks
-----PCIEx16_1 Freq (100)
-----PCIEx16_2 Freq (100)
-----PCIEx16_3 Freq (100)

FSB & Mem config
---FSB Mem clock mode = Linked
---FSB Mem ratio = 3:2
---FSB (QDR) Mhz = 1350
---Actual mem mhz = 900

Overclocking
---CPU Multiplier = x9
---Memory Timing Settings = All set to 'auto'
---Spread Spectrum
------PCIE Spread Spectrum = Auto
------MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum = Auto
------SATA Spread Spectrum = Disabled
------LDT Spread Spectrum = Auto

---CPU Internal Thermal Control = Disabled
---Limit CPUID Max Val = Disabled
---Enhanced C1 (EC1) = Disabled
---Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
---Virtualization Tech = Enabled
---Enhanced Intel Speed Step = Disabled
---LDT Freq = x5

Over Voltage
---All voltages set to 'Auto'

SLI Broadcast Aperture = Disabled
Nvidia GPU Ex = Disabled
SLI Ready Memory = Disabled

I'd like to get a good, stable overclock of 3.2-3.4ghz if possible. Tips, comments, suggestions are certainly appreciated. For example: I have two BFG 8800 GT video cards. Should I enable the Nvidia GPU Ex feature? My memory is crucial ballistix, BL2KIT12864AA804 - 2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM , DDR2 PC2-6400 from Crucial.com which claim to be 'sli ready' but when I enabled that with my old bios the machine wouldn't even post. Should I bother trying again now that I have a new bios chip? Is it worth screwing with?
Thanks

Thanks Ste. You might be surprised to learn that I actually consulted those articles, oddly enough they're all the same - just a reprint, with very limited success. The most ground I gained was through the advice of the helpful and generous persons on both this forum and the Anandtech forum. But since you were kind enough respond with not one or two but three links to the same thing I realized that clearly I must be a complete moron, REread the article and banged my head for about two and a half hours trying to get this $%^$ thing over 3.06ghz. (As a note: I can get it over 3.06 but it's not stable)
I have, since rereading the article, disabled all the spread spectrum functions and the vanderpool function (Virtualization Tech) which were the only differences from what I posted and what the article mentions with no success. I've tinkered with the voltages but I don't know enough about it to help. (came here for that)
I've prayed over it, did a rain dance, the vulcan mind trick and a jedi mind meld on the freakin thing and I still can't get it to bark like a dog and do the dishes. So do you (or anyone else) have some helpful advice or maybe . . another link to that same article? In case seeing it in a different font my help. :)

Is your BIOS updated? (As in, Flash it to newest version)
What is the VID (defualt reccomended voltage) for your G0 Q6600? You can check this with Coretemp .96

What timmings are you running your RAM on?
What is your FSB to RAM ratio?
What heatsink and thermal Paste are you using?
What program are you using to moniter tempartures?

Your motherboard may have a front side bus wall, set the Processor speed to 8 X 340, and anything higher than 8 X 340, if you cannot POST or boot into windows at anything at or above 8 X 340 then your motherboard is the limmiting factor, most likely anways.

The two things you can do to correct a front side bus wall, is Flash the BIOS to newest version and if that doesn't work buy a new motherboard.

My bios was 1205 and I couldn't even get past 2.6ghz stable. I flashed up to 1302 and it fried my bios chip. Called Asus and they told me the latest NON-Beta version was 1103 so I had them send me that. (The technician told me they were having MANY problems with the 1302). With the new bios chip I've been able to reach the 3.06ghz that I'm at now.
I've been running my timings on auto but for this latest round of tests I set them at 5,6,6,21,2t. My initial post indicates the state of my memory (sans timings) when I've achieved my highest oc. I have tried several different ratios, linked and unlinked, etc.
My cpu fan is an Asus Arctic Square with OCZ Ultra thermal compound. I'm using coretemp to monitor my temps and superpi and prime95 to stress the system.
My MB seems to have fsb 'holes' rather than a wall. For example it won't do squat from around 1270 to about 1340. Works at 1350 (my most stable oc) drop out completely at 1380 to about 1490. (By drops out I mean won't even post) At 1500 it will post and boot into windows but fail on superpi and prime95 with a stubborn rebooting issue. I suspect proper voltage adjustments may get 1500 to work. (3.37ghz)
Don't take the frustration from my last post personally. I do appreciate ANY input and understand why you directed me to the overclocking guides. My frustration was with my own inability to get the oc I wanted and I shouldn't have directed any of it toward you.
Thanks.

If you can POST and boot into windows at 3.37 Ghz, then it may just be a matter of playing with the voltages.

That being said, each setup is different, so your just going to have a fun time doing trial and error with all the different voltage combinations.

Though you can look into the Intel Overclocking thread for some insight about different ranges of speeds and voltage settings, in the end your setup's final settings will most certainly be different than anyone elses..
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/official-intel-overclocking-thread-162488/

I direct people to overclocking guides first only because I have found that most people don't look at them, and just start asking questions, but it is good that you did read them for background information and situational settings, etc etc..

DawnOfDoom this is my second Asus MB, first was an A8N32-SLI deluxe but to tell you the truth I've been frustrated with certain things about Asus and have been considering switching to another MB. This one is only about 3 months old and put me out about 230 bucks if I remember right so I'm going to do what I can to make it work. But trust me when I say I'm writing down your suggestion and will certainly research it. Thanks.

The Abit IX38 Quad GT is a nice motherboard, I own one, at least once I get it back from the RMA. When it did work, I ran my Q6600 @ 3.7 Ghz 24/7..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom