my overclock (amd 3700+ san diego) question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkolk

In Runtime
Ok i have an amd 3700+ san diego that im overclocking. I began with reducing my HT multiplier from 5x to 4x. I set a 5:4 memory divider because i have value select and i dont think itll overclock well.
So ive been raising my FSB with those settings. From default Vcore=1.36 FSB=200 I am currently at FSB=240 Vcore 1.422 (+.05V). My idle temps at stock were at 39, and now at the new FSB and Vcore idle temps are 40. (stock cooling) Load temps go up to 45.

What i want to know is, how much can i increase my voltage without damaging the CPU?

I'm not sure of the max voltage, but I ran my 3700+ with stock cooling at 2.7GHz for years at 1.52v - Vcore and 2.7v - Vram. FSB - 245, 11x Multiplier, HT Multi - 4x, I ran my RAM 1:1 too, but I have Corsair XMS.

Now it's just sitting here in this case unused :( (hint hint everyone, for sale section :p)

edit: I'm not 100% sure on that vcore voltage, i'll hook it up later tonight and double check the BIOS settings I have on it for you if you want.

that voltage sounds consistent with a overclock of the amd 3700 i just found on pcstats.com. My goal is to get around 250 FSB. If its at or below 1.5V sounds good.
So i have a memory divider 5:4 on, so at 250FSB the memory will be back to stock speed 200mhz. Should i go back and redo the speed with 1:1 increments and any instability should be caused by memory right? so thats when i would increase memory voltage instead of the cpu?

that voltage sounds consistent with a overclock of the amd 3700 i just found on pcstats.com. My goal is to get around 250 FSB. If its at or below 1.5V sounds good.
So i have a memory divider 5:4 on, so at 250FSB the memory will be back to stock speed 200mhz. Should i go back and redo the speed with 1:1 increments and any instability should be caused by memory right? so thats when i would increase memory voltage instead of the cpu?

Ideally, yes. You should look up the max voltage for your RAM first though.

to test stability raising it in a 1:1 ratio, do i use prime95 "Blend (tests some of everything, lots of RAM tested.)? since i know the stability of the cpu FSB already?

If you have value select ram then a 1:1 ratio would hold you back from your goal of 250 FSB. trust me i use value select from kingston, and i must say it BLOWS. i couldnt get my Pentium D past 3.5 without it locking up on a 1:1 but i'd give it a shot who knows eh? but yes do look up your Ram voltages first and your CPU voltages.

Well i got my processor to 245 FSB at +.15V, stable as far as ive seen without running it overnight, but with a 5:4 memory divider the memory speed is 196mhz, and the cpumark score on 3dmark05 is the same as stock speeds. Tho the FPS did increase by 10%.

maybe you can run tighter timings. Only ram I liked for ddr400 was G.Skill's. Had them running ddr500. My Corsair xms couldn't even do 220. Sucks cause ddr is pretty expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom