Video Card problem? Other hardware prob? Or software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddsk8er

Baseband Member
Ok, I have an X800 Pro from PowerColor. The vivo version (like that really matters). I downloaded the ruby demo just to see how things would run and at first it ran fine. But the rest of my computer didn't, so I reinstalled windows blah blah. Now when i run the Ruby tech demo, right after the explosion in the demo, it exits and i get this error message:

//=====================================================
// ATI Sushi Error Log Created 7/25/2004 4:28 pm
//=====================================================
[AwFn.cpp] (line 4067): D3DAw Error: AwCreateVertexBuffer - Unable to create dynamic vertex buffer
[PsBillboardParticleSystem.cpp] (line 683): ERROR: Can't create particle vertex buffer!
[AwFn.cpp] (line 4067): D3DAw Error: AwCreateVertexBuffer - Unable to create dynamic vertex buffer
[PsBillboardParticleSystem.cpp] (line 683): ERROR: Can't create particle vertex buffer!
[PsBillboardParticleSystem.cpp] (line 395): Error locking vertex buffer!
[Draw.cpp] (line 1048): pg->Update() Failed!
[Main.cpp] (line 881): Normal Application Exit

I also get some of that at the start of the demo like a console errors in some quake based games.

Another thing to note is that on my FIRST install of XP, in the ATI control panel for smartgart, the setting was Fast Write "YES" and AGP was 8X. Now Fast Write is grayed out and AGP is set to OFF. When i try to set it back to 8X, I reboot, and check the setting again. Sometime between logging into windows and checking the control panel, my screen flickers. Also, when I log into windows after the AGP change, the screen does not fluidly change to the desktop. It slowly "scrolls down" to the desktop as if I had to video drivers installed.

I can still play most of my games fine. But it still leaves a weird feeling on me when smartgart says my AGP is off, when it used to say 8x.

System Specs:

Intel P4 2.8C ghz
ASUS P4P800 SE (AGP 8x)
PowerColor ATI X800 Pro (AGP 8x capable, of course)
OCZ Enhanced Latency PC-3200 DDR 1 gig (Using only 512 now, one stick is bad, bout to get it rma'd) 2-3-2-5 CL
Western Digital 7200RPM 60 gig
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

if u have newest driver of ATI, fine, else get the VGA changed. (GPU problems)

I cannot believe u guys running after 3rd party ATi manufactured cards.

Wth kind of reply is that? 3rd party cards are fine for the most part (the exception being those brands you have never heard of and often disappear after the good card gets old). Better if anything because they usually have the same card but a better bundle for the same price. The point is, it was fine BEFORE. Now it says I have AGP off. And I am running on 4.7 cats. Tried other cat drivers, its all the same. (other means 4.5-4.7, haven't tried omega)

I've heard of lot of stuff saying that third party ATI cards suck, that's also what Blind_Arrow was trying to convey to you. They aren't manufactured well and use cheap pieces, that's why they cost less.

thanks jorsoft03, for support.

Oddsk8er, the thing is my friend, I have sold out 250+ ATi cards (original ATI built) and 35% of my buyers were those, who werent buying ATI for first time, but were those who have use same models but from different manufacturers, and were dissapointed. on using ATi built cards, they were satisfied with performance, and every time I give a card to previous (3rd party Ati user) I use to get many mails telling their experiences how did they find the original ATi card?

although very few, (3 cards n 250 came dead on arrival) tht is exception. can happne to anybody, as the cards arent God built that gauranteed working is a surity, these are man built.

powercolor is a good manufacturer, no doubt, I have tested their cards as well, but as far as manufacturing qualityt is concerned, I can only rely on original manufacturer or some other very reputable manufacturer, like Asus is, better get their card.

when it comes to computer hardware, i suggest, not to save money on cheaper products. but spend one time, and rest for a long time.

Ok i see what you are saying, but to my knowledge, almost every single ati card (3rd party or not) is the same one off the assembly line for ati. But this is off the subject. What I need to know is how to fix this.

try uninstall the driver and reinstall again using the driver that bundled with the card

rev. 1004. Ok, I'm not sure if this is the PCB version but I ran CPU-Z and for mainboard it lists my mobo and it Chipset, then to the right of it, it says Rev A2. I'm guessing this is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom