Which OS for my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Rekit

In Runtime
I just got a new hard drive for my laptop and want to know why I would want to use one operating system over the other for my setup.

I have windows XP Pro and Vista Business and my 3.5 yr old laptop specs are:
3.2 ghz Pentium 4
2 gb DDR ram 400mhz
60 gb 7200 rpm HD (now 160 GB 7200 rpm HD)

If vista will be noticeably slower on my machine, I will want to use XP, but if they will both run fine, I just want a reason to run one or the other.

Thanks,

John

There is no answer that anyone here can give. I use Vista on my Desktop which is a P4 3.4GHz with 3GB of RAM and it runs great. But i also use it on my laptop which is a AMD TL56 @1.8GHz with 1GB of RAM and it runs fine on there as well.

This is all personal preference. Which ever you like to use is what you should use. With a 60GB hard drive Vista will fill it up faster. But there is no definate answer as to which you should use. Many people will say XP just cause they dont like Vista. Others, like myself, have no issue with Vista and will say go with that.

So teh real answer is whatever you are comfortable with.

Thanks, if it's really a toss up I'll go ahead and try vista. The new hard drive is 160 GB so that should help out. If I don't like it, I can always switch back I just didn't want to take all the time getting everything loaded back onto the computer if someone could tell from my specs that it would run a lot slower. I don't play games on it, just run all the office programs and autocad with the occasional web editing software.

John

It has the potention to run slower. But as i said my latop with lower specs runs Vista fine. But it PROBABLY would run XP faster. I say probably as i am not gonna put XP on there as the wife uses the laptop mainly.

Or you could be cool like us and dip the toes in Linux :)

Dual boot the two os' you have and see which one you like more. This is a preference, we can't tell you which to use. I had both, but I never ended up using Vista, so I got rid of it.

Makaveli213 said:
But i also use it on my laptop which is a AMD TL56 @1.8GHz with 1GB of RAM
Ugh, one gig of ram for Vista? Yuck... that would make me very upset. Haha.

My computer knowledge is very limited compared to a majority on this site, but if I did dual boot, would I have to install every program twice to make it run on each OS?

Then, is there an easy way of getting rid of one OS without wiping the whole HD and starting over again after I have made a decision?

Either XP or some distro of Linux. You'll be dissapointed with the performance of Vista with those specs. You need at least a dual core and 2 GB of RAM for Vista to feel not so sluggish. You already have 2 GB, but that CPU will be constantly being utilized by the OS. I ran Vista on a laptop with a 2.4 GHz Pentium M (faster than your CPU), 2 GB of DDR 533 RAM, and a 6800 Ultra video card and it was too sluggish for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom